Cannot save sound acceleration setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylJ

An ASUS A8V-E SE motherboard, latest drivers installed. The chipset is VIA, K8T890 Northbridge and VT8237R Southbridge. The sound is Realtek ALC850 CODEC. Running Windows XP Home SP2 with all the latest updates.

If I set the hardware sound acceration to anything except "full", and click on "Apply", then "OK", the setting does not stay. It reverts to full acceration again. It stays while you have the Sound applet open, but if you close it and reopen it again, the acceration is set back to "full".

Unfortunately, I have an older game that I play a lot that has extremely garbled sound at full acceration levels.

I have tried everything I can think of to try to get the sound settings to "stick", but am out of ideas. Does anyone here have any ideas I could try?

Thanks,
--
Darryl

Latest update: I removed and reinstalled the sound drivers. The drivers on the motherboard CD are the same release number as the latest drivers on the ASUS site for my motherboard, so according to ASUS there are no updates available.

The problem remains: every time I open the Control Panel Sound applet, the hardware acceleration is set to "Full".

I did a Google search and found a site that listed many Realtek sound drivers. Taking a chance, I grabbed the latest version -- A3.81 -- that sounded (no pun intended) like it should work with my chipset and installed it.

I do have sound with these new drivers, but my original problem was not fixed. I'm starting to wonder if it's not a driver problem.

Is there any point in posting a message to technical support?

--
Darryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back