Cannot update asus mb bios

Check it out:
1. do you really need to change BIOS? if not, skip it.
2. you are here because you really need to update BIOS.

Confirm identification of your motherboard and current BIOS with a utility like Belarc Advisor or Speccy.
Go to ASUS support site and download manual if you do not have one in hand.
Read section on updating BIOS.

Are you sure you really need to do this?

Make a backup of any data important to you.

Download latest BIOS and any utility needed to do this.

Confirm all 'automatic' updates are 'done' for the next 24 hours (I hate it when Windows pops one while installing anything - like going on a trip with a kid, you have to make sure the bathroom visit is done and the favorite toy/blanket is on board)

Power down your system - then power up from a cold start. Do not run any other programs.

Update BIOS in accord with instructions.

DO NOT turn power off. It takes longer than you think. If subject to power issues, consider borrowing a UPS.

Actually, this is a bizarre issue, and I DO very much appreciate your amazingly fast responses. BUT, I am a PC tech, and I've never come across this particular issue before. Asus, it seems, has completely dropped the ball on updating the M4A88T-V EVO/USB3. I DO have the upgrades, I have followed all procedures, including tring to do it from both a USB, as well as wasting a disk, to go to version M4a88td-evo-usb3-asus-1308, as well as /1404. The BIOS/tools screen is just saying no to either version. Analysis states the version is 0305 from 09/09/10, and the aforementioned attempts do come up as the upgrades when I search, but these two BIOS versions are wrong. I also try to install in numerical order old/new. Any ideas? Tanx again.

You probably will laugh at this before losing it but see if the bios chip might be at fault.
I've had 2 asus mobos in the past and I have received nothing but hell from it thanks to a bios chip.
Try replacing it with a new bios chip from asus directly and no one else.
If you get it through somewhere else make absolutely sure they know wtf they are talking about.
Otherwise it will cause irq conflicts or ruined the board completely over time.

Check the bios settings page tell me again which bios version you have ?
I'm sure you can do usb bios update, make sure the flash drive is formated in fat32.
Make sure the flash drive works and put the file at the root of flash drive it should pick it up and ask if you want to update.
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Motherboards/M4A88TV_EVOUSB3/HelpDesk_BIOS/
This is the last that asus has done with the bios support, if you have a older version it will upgrade.
If doesn't read my ramble up top and see what happens, long story short don't bother with asus unless you have nerves of steel.

Hi @MikeOD With all due respect, it would have been nice if you had included all that information in your first post, that you posted in #4. Let us know how things go for you.;)(y)
PS I'm always trying to learn new things. May I ask why your updating the BIOS. What does the update version address?
Here's quote from the HTG article; which being a PC tech you surely are aware of.
BIOS updates will not make your computer faster, they generally won’t add new features you need, and they may even cause additional problems. You should only update your BIOS if the new version contains an improvement you need.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I've been building and repairing PC's for over 20 years. It's what I do for a living, but this was a first. Yes, the USB was cleanly wiped, fat32, and holdum is very right about the worthless asus support. And, Mr Bailey, I am well aware of ALL you said, and have been for at least 15 years. I was just trying to find out if others have had similar issues, as this is a first with an asus which I've flashed a few dozen times on other boards. Thank you all. I finally did do it. It took multiple attempts, for zero apparent reasons! I am not as impressed with asus hardware as I once was, and yes their support is absolutely illiterate. Pax.

Hi! Mike. Please share your success with the forum. Not sure how many have had your problem, but it might help other TS members with asus boards. Sad that asus support is bad. PS I agree with HTG "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Thank you for your reply.

Thank you all. I've been building and repairing PC's for over 20 years. It's what I do for a living, but this was a first. Yes, the USB was cleanly wiped, fat32, and holdum is very right about the worthless asus support.

This is why I am against asus products anything plus the customer service, technical support are pretty nasty people behind the phones.
Good luck with whatever you do in the future.

Back