Can't add more than two sticks of RAM

Eon Blue

Hi guys,

I recently bought 3 more sticks of RAM (6GB) from Newegg to upgrade onto my computer. When I put one stick of RAM next to my currently installed stick, the computer won't display anything on the monitor and there is no beep from the internal speakers. So I mixed the RAM sticks up a bit, trying to see if any combination would work, and the finally I got it to work in the first and third RAM slot. I need help as to why I can't seem to add more RAM.

System Specs:
Mobo: ASUS M4A7TD-M evo
RAM: Crucial XMS 2GB DDR3 (X4)

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

This motherboard runs dual channel memory, and some motherboards require either 1, 2 or 4 sticks of RAM to operate at all -> because manufacturers sometimes lock the dual channel function to all sticks (of reasons I'm unfamiliar of).

Still, the first and third slots on your motherboard (the blue ones): that's the first memory channel, and would indeed be the correct combination for just 2 sticks. Placing 2 sticks in the second channel (black ones) before filling the first channel can sometimes not work.

As for 3 sticks, it might just be the case that you must fill the first channel before populating the second channel - and also copy the first channel on the second one. In other words - three sticks of RAM means that 1 stick is unusable until you get another one, so that you can populate all four memory slots. If it doesn't work then, well then something's broken. But for now, it simply seems that you need another stick of RAM in order for the "third" stick to work in the second channel.

Edit:
In case I mis-understood something, for instance if you actually have 4 slots populated, then some other TechSpot hero will have to fill you in on this one.

OR: (as I didn't find much information about the RAM configuration on this particular motherboard) in some cases, only 1 or 2 slots are usable at the same time, some motherboards have two "different memory frequency" slots in order to maintain some compability against other memory types. And if this is the case with your motherboard, then you can only use the first and the third slots. Hopefully, this is not the case with your motherboard.

Question:
How many sticks do you have in this computer (working and non-working combinations)?

Mobo: You said ASUS M4A7TD-M evo. Do you mean ASUS M4A87TD EVO? The number "8" is missing.

RAM: Crucial XMS? No such thing. Or maybe Corsair XMS? Which model/speed?

What is your current stick of RAM?

OH yeah I meant CORSAIR XMS (was tired last night).

In the RAM slots there are 4 total the first and second are black, and the third and fourth are blue. I have a Corsair XMS3 2GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 (All 4 of my RAM sticks are the same BTW) stick in the first and third slot (A black and blue one). If I try any other combination other than the one I specified, the computer will not boot up and will show no display on my monitor.

Thanks for any help in advance.

The first and third are the correct DIMMs to fill for dual channel mode when using just two RAM sticks. However, it should work with just one in the first DIMM and it should also work with all four installed. Evidently, it's not. You could check the BIOS for the voltage you have set for the RAM. The default voltage might not be working for the RAM you have. I think your RAM works best at 1.65 volts.

Back