Can't connect to internet with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzer

Just bought a new comp. Intel core 2 duo 2.66 with vista installed. plugged up my ethernet wire to the back of the comp and vista does not allow me to connect online to any website. system recognizes the connection because i see packets being sent and received. says 100mbs. i have cable internet that i was using literally 30 minutes before i connected it up to this new comp.vista keeps saying there is an issue that cannot be resolved. says that my IPV6 and 4 are only allowing a local connection. when it try to use the setup a connection wizard it asks me if i am using a dial up/isdn and i click no and go to the cable setup. it then asks me for a password and login name to connect to my ISP. i have never used anything like this before with XP on my old machine. i disconnected the modem and restarted the comp with no success. is this an ISP issue or is vista just being complicated. I'm not very familiar with vista as this is my first time using it. XP seemed easier to just plug and go with my internet connection. i have it set to automatically acquire IP address and everything. Very Confused as to what i may have missed.

Can you verify that you can connect to the net with the same ethernet connection with another system?

Does your ethernet port have a light or lights when you plug in the ethernet connection and you're fully booted? If not there may be a problem with the ethernet port, you might want to try to look at the bios and see if it's shut off there, or even try to get a pci ethernet card and test if you can get a connection that way.

If you have lights and you can verify you can connect, it might be a driver, firewall, or other software issue. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your mobo, and turn off any firewalls.

Oh I just reread that you do have a connection. It's probably something strange in how you set up the network connection, or how your ip was assigned. I bet that's it, because you said you were using the same connection, I bet your router/cable modem is having a hissy fit over ip assignments..

i actually figured it out by chance. i called my ISP and they have to verify the mac address with the actual computer individually so that random computers cannot connect directly with their service. all i had to to was call them and have them authorize my computer. took about an hour for the sync to happen but i've been great since. i felt really stupid for even posting but i figure maybe this will help someone out there.

if you ever get a router between the modem and the system, you will need to
CLONE the mac address of the system :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back