Can't download Zone Alarm free

macx

Win 8.1 Avast free AV, Avast SafeZone inactive, Windows firewall turned off, no Flash (to eliminate any download manager).]

Downloaded the installer from both CNET and then the ZA site itself. When I activate it, it won't download all the necessary files to install the app.

Went live chat with ZA, he had no suggestions.

There must be something blocking it, but what? I'm not very familiar with 8.1, this is a friend's machine.

Thanks for any help!!

IMO you should not of gotten it from cnet & I think others might agree. Although I never had 8.1, I think its firewall would be fine.

As I wrote in my post, I did unload it from the ZA site. Via live chat, the ZA tech rep was unable to help.

Something in 8.1 is blocking the app from completely downloading. I've temporarily turned off Windows firewall,
and made sure there are no Download Managers on the machine, another thing I've read can screw up downloads
of apps.

I've tried to add ZA to the allowed app download list but it is not contained in the list of apps to select for download.

So for now gave up and turned Windoze firewall back on.

I can't be the only one having this problem, as popular as ZA is and with what has to be a considerable number of
8.1 users out there, even tho it is comparatively unpopular with Win 7 (and for good reason!)

I too used to be a ZA fan but as MS got better with their firewall, I've gone to trust it so for the paat 10 years ONLY the MS firewall. Get rid of ZA & trust MS.Popularity has nothing to do with it. :) Good luck . :)

Does the new Windows (I.e. 8/8.1) firewall function like ZA and block info from being taken OUT of your computer?

That would worry me as much as bad things coming in.

I can't answer that but I'd tell you if I had W8.1 I'd go with the firewall it came with UNLESS somebody else here says different. Ok ? :)

Back