Can't fully remove iTunes from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an 20GB iPod yesterday and am stuck on a problem. I had a couple initial problems yesterday (unit always says “do not disconnect” when plugged in, and the 11-15-04 iPod updater download wouldn’t complete). Because of these problems, iTunes wasn’t working correctly. I talked to HP (because it was sold as an HP product) and to Apple today, and they said I needed to remove all iTunes and iPod programs and reinstall.

Through the Control panel (Add/Remove programs), there were two versions of iTunes, and one of them couldn’t be removed – there was a message saying there was a previous version of the program installed. HP sent me to Apple, and Apple said it was a Windows problem, and they wouldn’t help. I ended up backing up the registry, and used Regedit to delete anything with iTunes or iPod in the name. Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but it didn’t seem to cause problems, and it let me remove the remaining version of iTunes through the Control panel.

However, when I try to reinstall iTunes through the CD, I get an error saying there’s a previous version of iTunes still there. I also searched the hard drive and removed a few other references to iTunes and iPod. Not sure where to go from here. Does anyone know of other files that wouldn’t be named iTunes or iPod, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I ran RegSupreme and it flagged many invalid entries, and I ran the cleanup. However, I'm still getting the same errors during iTunes installation.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Run another disk search making sure you set the search to look fo HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS.
Turning off system restore rebooting and re-intialising it will also clear out any restore points that may have references to the prog. Once done do another reg clean and see if the prob exists thereafter. If it does then the last resort before drop kicking the puter into the middle of next week is to try THIS Un-installer
:giddy:

I had the same problem - If you download the installer for the old version (the version details should be on add/remove programs) that was already on your computer and run it - it will completely uninstall the old components!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back