Can't get past "verifying dmi pool data..." in boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am building a new computer, or at least trying.

Mthbrd: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R 775
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.1 GHZ
visiontek Radeon HD 3450 PCIE crap
Western Digital Caviar SE 160 SATA
2 ddr2 memory

I can't get past the "verifying the dmi pool data" in the boot. I read something about updating the bios in a short product review on newegg.com. How would that be possible? Any help is appreciated. I am about to throw the computer in the toilet.

That really sucks, because mine did that too, I did everything and with different computers and it narrowed down to the P4. Try everything you could to find the problem.

Can you boot using Safe Mode (F8)? Also, if you want to enter the BIOS and use Q-Flash, you should be tapping the Delete key as soon as the Gigabyte splash screen appears which is well before the verifying DMI pool message.

Since this is a new build, are you booting from the Windows CD? Did you set the CD drive as the first boot device? Which Windows by the way?

Can you boot using Safe Mode (F8)? Also, if you want to enter the BIOS and use Q-Flash, you should be tapping the Delete key as soon as the Gigabyte splash screen appears which is well before the verifying DMI pool message.

Since this is a new build, are you booting from the Windows CD? Did you set the CD drive as the first boot device? Which Windows by the way?

I can't get the thing to run long enough to get anything done. I get to the gigabyte splash screen, but it won't look at any drive for the flash except a nonexistant floppy drive. It supposedly recognizes my hd and cd.

It seems to turn off at different points depending on how long it has been sitting without being booted. I wonder if it is recognizing my ram? I have found out that without the bios update that the board will only deal with a precious few brands.

Here are some customer reviews of the board from people with similar issues.

Cons: DOA. The board I got would power up for ~5sec then enter a reboot loop. Gigabyte's tech support told me it was probably a component issue so I swapped out everything, including cpu, and it still does it. I also tried clearing the CMOS and everything else I could think of before I decided to RMA the board and get something else.
Other Thoughts: Gigabyte tech support sucks. No phone number to call for support, have to submit questions via website.

Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!Buyer beware
Reviewed By: slickdawg on 9/3/2008 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
Pros: The board has many features that I want from a motherboard - USB ports galore, firewire, RAID via ICH10, supports up to 8GB of ram.
Cons: BIOS appears to be a major issue with several reviewers. The board will not stay on long enough for me to even flash the BIOS. It powers on for a few seconds, then resets itself. I can not get through a post. Its been extremely frustrating. Q6600 processor, tried OCZ, Kingston and PNY ram, no dice.
Other Thoughts: It appears to be a hit and miss, some people are lucky and have great success with the board while others are having major issues. Too bad I am one of those unlucky ones.
Did you find this review helpful?

Thanks for the valuable feedback you provided!rock solid
Reviewed By: Romuluz on 9/2/2008 Tech Level: somewhat high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: With proper setup and OCed quad-core with FSB 450-500 any task looks like a breeze.
Cons: if AHCI mode is enabled for SATA controller - SATA DVD-RW does not work and system refuses to go beyond "verifying DMA pool..". Had to use regular IDE DVD-RW drive. BIOS recognized only one kind of usb flash drive, i tried 3 different ones while attempting to flash BIOS
Other Thoughts: Be careful with USB headers. First pins marked black, which doesn't mean it's for black wire. You will fry your usb devices if connected in opposite direction.

Brand GIGABYTE
Model GA-EP45-DS3R
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium
FSB 1600/1333MHz
Chipsets
North Bridge Intel P45
South Bridge Intel ICH10R
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 1200
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8
(The PCIEx16 and PCIEx8 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
PCI Express x1 3
PCI Slots 2
Storage Devices
PATA 1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 6
SATA RAID 0/1/5/10
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC889A
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8111C
Second LAN Chipset Realtek 8111C
Max LAN Speed Dual 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
USB 8 x USB 2.0
IEEE 1394 2 x IEEE 1394a
S/PDIF Out 1x Optical, 1x Coaxial
Audio Ports 6 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 4 x USB 2.0
Onboard 1394
Onboard 1394 1x 1394a
Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"
Power Pin 24 Pin
Packaging
Package Contents GA-EP45-DS3R
Driver Disk
User Manual
Rear I/O Panel Shield
IDE/PATA Cable
FDD Cable
SATA Cable
eSATA Bracket
eSATA Cable & Power Cord

Are you using the stock Intel heatsink?

Turn the computer off, lie it on it's side and try and wiggle it. Is it solid or is there movement? If there's movement you haven't installed the heatsink properly and this is most likely the cause of your machine turning off - the processor getting too hot and the motherboard turning the PC off to protect the processor. Try to work out which pegs are not secured correctly and push them down.

seanc, read up on that board before u make a comment like that, that board has had lots of problems, and the thing u are wanting him to check has yet to be a problem although it would probably never get reported.

I read the reviews he posted, there's no reason why he can't check the heatsink though. Takes a minute at most to pull the PC out and check it.

I am a she. I know it doesn't matter, but it is weird being referred to as a he. I am going to order a another mobo, and that way I will be able to tell which part is the culprit. I will never get this weekend back! If it turns out to definitely be this board, I am going to post my experience as many places as I can find so others know what they may be getting into. Anyone familiar with returning a gigabyte mobo to manufacturer? I got it from Frys. The packaging is all messed up and the manual is a mess from being read a hundred times. I'll be back.

Hi, I did try that method. It all seems fine. The mobo is going RMA. I sent in my request last night and they replied this morning with the number and addy to send it to. I ordered a new fan with my new mobo. It is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Fan. Thanks for your info and help.

I read the reviews he posted, there's no reason why he can't check the heatsink though. Takes a minute at most to pull the PC out and check it.
I have to agree here... I would check that the heatsink is seated correctly, and that also, you havent applied too little, or too much themal paste.

It should take you 10 minutes to check, before you order a new mobo.

Just my $.02

this error is generally attributable to bad or failing ram. Run memtest 86+ booted from a CD or floppy.

The memory I tried is brand new out of the package PNY. I found out that the mobo supports very few brands before the bios update. I don't have another ddr2 compatible mobo to test the ram. I can't get the thing to run long enough to update the bios. The bios needs to be updated for the damn thing to run. This mobo obviously requires much more technical knowledge and equipment than I have. I bought the thing without checking into it because of the price and features. A lesson has been learned. I am sending it in to get "fixed", so maybe at a later date I will be able to use it, or I can give it to a friend that can. Thanks for the input guys.

This may not have anything to do with what's going on here but, a certain amount of risk always attaches when you try a BIOS update. I'm really not a cutting edge sort of person, so before I buy a board I check to see that the processor I have I mind is always listed as compatible with the earliest version of the BIOS. Hopefully you will receive less nasty surprises that way.

The reviews at Newegg are fraught with people that don't know what they're doing, but insist on calling themselves "very high" when announcing their technical ability. It's all gamesmanship, but take it with a grain of salt.

Should it come to returning an item, Newegg has probably the best and most liberal policies in the industry, so next time give them a shot.

PNY is generic RAM, and as such stands a good chance of posting in most boards.

I suggest that you retrace all of your steps before returning the board, borrow some other RAM if you have to for a test. I not suggesting that your board isn't bad, it may well be, but things like that happen a bit less than is often claimed by buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back