Cant get system to boot into windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just purchased a new tower and an vc19 motherboard to replace my old one, i had an emachine t-4160, the mother board died so that necessitated new parts :)

anyway, it was p4 1.6 gighz, i put the new system togeather
went through the bios, and made all the setting changes,
its starts to boot and the started just rebooting, would never get into the windows xp screen, it seems to be some multiplier
type problem, so i set to auto, it detects all the components but
will not boot, it just gets to a screen to give option to boot to
safe mode
safe mode with network support
safe mode with command prompt
last known good config.
starts windows normally

none of them do anything , it just seems to freeze after i make a selection, i restart and it continues to repeat

i have 2 hard drives both are detected properly, new ram just for this board ( the board would not use my old ram.)

anyone have any ideas on solutions? HELP !! :)

are you using the power supply that was from the E machine? thier power supplies are pitiful barely enough to run the emachine as it is set up. changing to a new board and new ram would be more than enough to mmake the PS inadequate.

also make sure that your hardrives are properly set master/slave

Originally posted by iss
also make sure that your hardrives are properly set master/slave

Exactly.

Also, it can be a multiplier/frequency setting in the BIOS. After you've checked that the master/slave stuff is ok, try to reset the CMOS and start all over again in the BIOS, don't mess with the frequency unless the POST gives a wrong reading. If so, increase in the smallest increments.

are you trying to boot the original XP installation? You will probably have to reinstall XP as none of the boot configuration would be correct for a new, totally different MB.

also you might want to try and lower you ram timmings...If possible first try running them by SPD....If that works try and change the various timmings one at a time...
The only reason i say this is I've run into problems with overclocking my DDR Ram timmings and the machine would reboot at the Windows XP Boot screen...

It is most likely the XP loading the old mobo drivers. You can make it boot by repairing the XP installation from the installation CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back