Can't go to full resolution for monitor - Nvidia drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blekk

Hi,

Since installing Vista 64-bit I'm having trouble with nvidia drivers for it. I have a Geforce 8800GTS 512mb PCI-E graphics card which I have used fine for the last few months.

I was using Vista 32-bit those last few months, but now I've made the switch to Vista 64-bit for the reasons that I get it free through my university and also to see if there is a performance boost.

Since using Vista 64-bit and installing the latest and older Nvidia drivers, when on my monitor's native resolution 1920x1080, it doesnt fill the whole screen, there is about an inch on everyside where the screen is just black, with the desktop sitting inside this, obviously I cannot use my monitor like this as 1920x1080 is small enough as it is, without it being reduced to a size of about a 19" screen.

I then switched to Omega drivers to see if this would fix it and it does, I could run 1920x1080 on the monitor perfectly. But when playing some games, colours would be different and anti-aliasing would be working etc. In the case of GTAIV, there weren't actually any textures at all.

Therefore I would like to use the Nvidia drivers but I can't run the resolution 1920x1080 because of my problem, and I really hate using 1680x1050 because all text is a bit blurry.

I have tried using the Nvidia Control Panel to adjust the scaling, if I apply any of the 4 scaling options, none of them make any different whatsoever, there is still an inch of nothing around the displayed desktop.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time,

Blekk.

From Page2 here: http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?model=STRIKER II EXTREME&SLanguage=en-us

The VGA part of EPU-4/6 Engine is realized through the use of SmartDoctor utility. If your card is not supported by the SmartDoctor utility, you would see this error message. Please workaround this error message by removing the SmartDoctor utility. Please note that by removing the SmartDoctor utility, the VGA part of EPU-4/6 Engine will be disabled. But you can still enjoy the rest of EPU-4/6 Engine for saving energy. For a list of VGA cards for EPU-4/6 engine, please refer to the VGA QVL list at this link: http://event.asus.com/mb/six_engine/.

Not sure if that helps or not

Here's all your drivers: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=Striker II Extreme&SLanguage=en-us

Hi kimsland,

thanks for the reply but I'm not sure if it helps, my monitor is connected via DVI and I've searched for the SmartDoctor utility but I don't have it on my PC.

Also, the link to the drivers are only the Asus drivers and there aren't any drivers in there for the graphics card or video-type things.

Sorry if I'm missing something in your post, please correct me if I am.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Nope that doesn't work either, thanks for the reply though.

The only difference there is now between it working properly and not working properly is that I'm on vista 64-bit rather than vista 32-bit, could this be the problem?

As I said, the omega drivers let me have it fitting the whole screen but not the nvidia ones, or older nvidia ones.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back