Can't load scandrv.dll

alhoover81

I have looked up this online and I get the same thing everywhere. It's is from Plustek Inc, which I have already installed there stuff from my computer, which I don't rememeber installing. But everytime I start my computer as soon as windows 7 loads, the message Can't load scandrv.dll, pops up. I gone to add/remove rograms and uninstalled it there, but according to the internet it needs to be removed from my registry, which I do not touch unless I have detailed instructions on what to do. I hope you can help, it's really bugging me.

Have you installed scanner software?
I suspect you have, and that the software installed is not compatible with Win7,
(but was designed for an earlier version.)

I would suggest disconnecting the scanner,
then uninstalling the software, and uninstalling the scanner.
Then, after rebooting, plug the scanner in,
Then allow Win7 to search for the drivers it needs for the scanner.

Let us know if this does the trick or if you need further help.

I did have a scanner, but since it stopped working within a week I took it back. I have uninstalled all of the software. I followed the instructions online, but then it gets into deleting stuff off the registry and that I won't do unless I have step by step instructions on that, which was not included in the other instructions. So I guess now it's a matter of getting the stuff that is still on the registry off that I have already un-installed useing the add/remover programs.

The details may be slightly different under Win7...
This is how I would approach it with WinXP, without going into the Registry.

Right click on "my Computer"
Select "Properties"
Select the "Hardware" tab.
Click the button that says "Device Manager"
In the list of devices find the scanner.
Right Click on it and select properties
Select the "Driver" tab.
Click the "Uninstall" button.
Then select "OK"

Uninstallation may not be complete until you shut down and reboot.

Let's try this...
  • Click Windows 7 start icon
  • Type *MSCONFIG* in the search box, then enter

Image:
msconfig_win7_2.gif

• Click *Selective Startup*
  • Choose Startup tab.

Image:
msconfig_win7_4.gif

Windows 7 loads *almost* all of Windows' essential programs are loaded through *Windows Services.*
So *most* of what you see here are optional and can be turned off.
  • Uncheck any process you don't want to start on boot.
  • When finished> click on OK
  • Reboot the computer.
  • When you see this message come up: Check 'don't show this message again' then Restart.

Hi guys

I don't mean to interrupt the flow of the thread.. but, if it's helpful, wanted to provide THIS LINK just as fyi to a Microsoft step-by-step that also describes how to "clean boot" a Windows 7 machine for troubleshooting

As BW suggested, you likely have a non-Microsoft service or startup somewhere that's referencing that old dll

Thank yall both. I will check out the other idea when I get home and then I will let you know if it helped. I know going into msconfig seems to have helped, but I may need to do the other as well.

Back