Can't password protect and don't know why

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPoet

OK. So I have recently converted my hard drive from a Fat32 to a NTFS just for the password protection files. But, when ever I right click>properties>advance, it doesn't show that the encryption is unavailable. Please help some one!

I think drive encryption is only a feature of higher versions of Vista. You CAN EASILY find an independant software product to do the same job, but built-in or independant, I personally would never encrypt an entire hard drive, only sensitive bits - think of the problems if (or rather when), things go wrong on your PC !!

In passing, I cannot for the life of me understand why you cannot type 'drive encryption' into google and find out for yourself.....for example http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...ce29-4f09-89ef-65bce923cdb51033.mspx?mfr=true

File Encryption is not available on XP/Home or Vista/Home but requires /Pro or better.

Actually, YOU SHOULD NOT USE Win/Encryption (see this)

Privacy:
First, all users should be Limited Accounts. Use the Admin account only for applying
MS updates and installing software.

Second, make all User data Private; this stops UserA from exploring the My Documents belonging to UserB.

Thrid, if you're on a laptop and have sensitive data on it (eg banking accounts, ssn)
and you want to protect that data in the case that the laptop is stolen or lost,
then use an OEM PGP product to encrypt the file(s). Personally, I use Fileassurity OpenPGP which works very well.

Lastly, XP and Vista have ACL (access control list) support.
google for CACLS and XCACLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back