Can't run a SATA HDD and a IDE HDD together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
I recently built a new system and installed X64 Vista. I bought a new sata drive to run windows on and another sata for storage. I also thought i might as well put my old drives on there and utilise those as well (they are IDE). I'm not able to see the IDE drives at all. I have never seen this issue before and ive built a few systems, but ive never mixed ide and sata before. I know all drives are working. has anyone encountered this issue or know about something similar? if im right and it is the mixing of ide and sata, is there anyway around it??

im thinking of using VMware or similar and try moving the ide data accross to the sata drives but im not sure that would work.

cheers for your thoughts/comments.

Peter

How are the IDE drives formatted? How many IDE ports do you have on the motherboard? Are you running any IDE CD/DVD drives?

Since you mentioned that you've built systems before, I'm assuming you know about master, slave and cable select.

Check your bios settings, specifically the ones to do with SATA. Yours may well be set to SATA only where is should be set to combined/both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back