Can't turn my computer on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsepia

UPDATE: My motherboard is not dead anymore. I was able to turn on my computer after a few hours of just waiting. I still have no idea what went wrong. :p

Another one of those "is my motherboard dead?" threads.

Long story:

My computer was fine until I tried to install a PCI sound card. After installing the drivers, I couldn't get any sound, so I started connecting my headphones to all the other jacks. In doing this, I noticed that the card moved around as I pushed. I tried to push it back to the bottom of the PCI slot while the computer was running. It made a scary "tsst" noise but the computer didn't stop working.

I turned it off and checked out the card. Turns out the screw that was keeping the card attached to the case was missing (it probably fell out).

I pushed the card back into the slot and secured it with a tighter screw, then tried to turn the computer back on.

Nothing happened. Not even the fans had started.

I checked the power source multiple times. I flipped the switch on and off, I disconnected and reconnected the power cable several times.

Then I checked the motherboard. I took out the sound card and disconnected all drives. The only think I couldn't take out was my TV tuner card, because the antenna slot was blocking the exit (I don't remember how I managed to fit that card into the mobo, but it was a nightmare).

Short story:

• I handled my new sound card too roughly and now the computer does nothing when I try to turn it on.
  • No fans, no LEDs, no beeps.
  • Haven't tried changing the PSU or the RAM because I'd have to buy or borrow the replacements.
I'd appreciate some tips on troubleshooting it.

Some possibilities (I'm no expert, though):
  • I probably damaged the TV tuner card while moving the sound card around.
  • The motherboard could be dead. But why?
  • The PSU could be dead. But why?

Sound card: Genius SoundMaker Value 5.1 (PCI)
TV Tuner: Generic, with Philips SAA7130 chip (PCI)
Motherboard: ECS A780-GMA
PSU: Generic 220V 500W 24+4 pins

Time to have a skilled tech with instrumentation check it out... or just buy a new motherboard, as that will be cheaper... except for the software.

Time to have a skilled tech with instrumentation check it out... or just buy a new motherboard, as that will be cheaper... except for the software.

Thanks for the reply. So you're 100% sure the motherboard is dead?

What do you mean about the software? I don't think my hard drives were affected. In my experience, after changing the motherboard, it's enough to just run automatic repair from the Windows disk.

It's alive! It's alive! :D I just had to wait a few hours. And I still have no idea why it wasn't working.

No, I don't have an Idea... but it will take somebody with more skills and experience that what you may have to figger out what to do next.

Run Repair. Do everything you can. But from what you describe, it will take somebody with more experience in the technical side to figger out how to get it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back