Can't turn on firewall

trisha

Hi there, I'm having some trouble with my firewall and was hoping someone could help. I can't start my firewall. whenever I try to run it, it says
"Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service?"

when i click yes it says:
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)service"

I have a windows XP

You could see if the service is 'on' or not. Type in the search box; msconfig (enter)
It will appear at the top of the results list. Right-click on it, and choose 'run as administrator'. When the box appears, Click on the third tab from left, 'Services'.
Drag the scroll bar down, till you find 'Windows Firewall'. (These are not in alphabetical order). You should see, the tickbox is empty, so tick that. You probably will then have to restart your pc. Hope that does the trick.

This problem may occur if certain Administrative Templates from the Windows XP Security Guide were applied to the computer before Windows XP SP2 was installed. This problem occurs because of a problem in some security templates that were published as part of the Windows XP Security Guide. This resource may help. Please do let us know.

Back