Cat 5 Cable wiring - Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocobogo_rct

I have a reel of Cat 5 Cable that I have cut to size.
I was just after some help on wiring the cable to the connectors.
I want to set up a one way cable not a crossover, and I have the correct colour pattern. I am following the pattern from my other cables.
o/w, o ,g/w, bl, bl/w, g, br/w, br
I have the crimping tool.
I have wired each end the best I can and cripmed them but when I put the cable in the hub there is no activity, it wont pick up atall

Please help

Cheers

Are you sure you're doing it right? :p
It's most likely just an unfortunate crimp. It's always a good idea to have spare plugs in case you don't get it right. Just cut off the worst-looking end and try again.

I hope you have read guides like this

It can also be a broken cable or wrong types of plugs. There are different plugs for solid wire and stranded wire cables.

It may also be a hub/NIC malfunction. Try restarting both devices after connecting the cable.

When crimping straight through cable, the color order does NOT matter at all.

The important thing is that all the colors match on both ends. Check to make sure that you are not reversing the colors on the ends of the cable..

An example of a bad crimping job - the first end starts with o/w and the second end starts with brown.

[o/w, o ,g/w, bl, bl/w, g, br/w, br] ------> [br, br/w, g, bl/w, bl, g/w, o, o/w]

An example of a good crimp job would be:

[o/w, o ,g/w, bl, bl/w, g, br/w, br] -------> [o/w, o ,g/w, bl, bl/w, g, br/w, br]

I say this, because it is an easy and common mistake to put in all the wires without thinking of the relation between top/bottom of the connectors... In other words, you get them reversed on accident because you are looking at the connector the wrong way.

If you are new to making cables, then I have a good tip for you to make a good connection. When you strip the main shielding from the CAT-5 wire and the wires are all exposed, place them in the order they need to go in first. Once you have them ordered properly, bunch them together very closely (maintaining the same color order). Then, hold them nice and straight and make a straight cut across with a pair of scissors to even ALL of the wires with eachother.

This gives you a much better connection then just trying to stick them in, as size often varies due to the cables twisting and turning around one another.

Push the ends in very hard.. You should see the ends press against the connector's translucent, plastic end. Continue pressing firmly when you crimp to secure a good connection.

Must use CORRECT order for CAT 5 cable wiring!!!!!

WELLLLLL, actually the order of the wires DOES matter if you are making a long cable. It has something to do a build up of interference over long distances. (I think) Any way I know this because someone told me that it didn't matter and I redid the connectors about 6 times thinking that I was doing something wrong when all the time it was the order of the wires!

The Rx and Tx signals have to be on the same colour pair.

The wires in the cable are twisted by colour in pairs (that's why it is called twisted pair cable). You will get less interference if the signal ground and signal itself are twisted around each other. I guess it won't matter as much if you use shielded cable..

So for a (long) straight through cable you should watch that pins 1/2 and 3/6 were the same colour.

Of course the right way to do it is to just follow the T-568A standard and make everyones life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back