CBS Sports is shooting in 8K and AR at the Super Bowl

Greg S

The big picture: US cable providers still do not even support live 4K broadcasts, but CBS Sports is going to try out its 8K cameras at the Super Bowl anyways. Even those that are not cord cutters may still consider streaming online to get better quality.

As CES 2019 is coming to a close, this year has been marked by a sea of display technologies, automotive presence, and the usual inclusion of products that leave everyone confused about why they might need internet capabilities on inanimate objects. 8K TVs are the one major item that will be arriving in store and online for sale this year.

In just a few weeks, the NFL's 53rd Super Bowl will take place on February 3 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA. CBS Sports will be broadcasting from no less than 115 cameras to show plenty of angles.

Out of all those cameras, 16 standard cameras are 4K-capable. An additional nine Sony 4800 slo-mo cameras will also be able to capture live 4K footage as well as provide the opportunity for replays. At this point, 4K is kind of old news and something that everyone can afford.

Enter the 8K cameras. During live broadcast of the Super Bowl, CBS Sports will be making use of several 8K cameras positioned in each end zone on the field. The 2016 Rio Olympics were the first time 8K cameras were used for a major event, and their use was very limited. This is the first publicized use of 8K for live TV within the United States.

If anyone is truly interested in watching the Super Bowl in the best possible resolution, streaming it online will be the way to go. The vast majority of cable providers still do not support 4K broadcasts, let alone 8K content.

In addition to 8K, there will be heavy use of augmented reality graphics. At least 52 cameras will be in use to accurately track and display on-field indicators such as the first down line. What is normally a standard feature of any broadcast is being turned into a complex process with extreme accuracy.

Permalink to story.

Wow... and no one will be able to tell the difference between the 8K presentation and a 4K one... unless you have a screen about 100"+ and are sitting like 4 feet away...
Funny, the same thing was being said about 4K versus 1080 HD a few years back.

Funny, the same thing was being said about 4K versus 1080 HD a few years back.
Yep... and they were right :)

You can find charts online, but basically, if you sit 6 feet from your tv, you won’t notice the difference between 4K and 1080p unless your screen is 60” or bigger.

The only real reason to buy 4K is because you want HDR, Dolby vision, etc... which is almost exclusive to 4K TVs.... since there is no improved HDR or sound for the 8k standard, you’d have to be a complete fool to buy it now...

Eventually, alas, you’ll have no choice, as HDR 100 and Dolby Ultimate (or whatever they will be called) will only exist for 8k....

If it wasn't on terrestrial digital TV in 1080p with the BBC and that's free as $KY charges for 1080p and 4K and that's down the fiber in this country which it only just manages so how would I use an 8K TV when $KY is still charging for it's 1080p content which you'd think would be free to encourage the use of 4K when to be honest since all analog TV was shut down years ago most watch TV at 720p and are happy because they find NO DIFFERENCE at all between 720p 1080p and 4K ..lol

Wow... and no one will be able to tell the difference between the 8K presentation and a 4K one... unless you have a screen about 100"+ and are sitting like 4 feet away...
65 inch +

So Comcast can compress it to a stream that lies to you when it says it's in 4k? Pass. I own a 4k image processor and it tells me that at best Comcast is pushing is around 2.5k sustained. And it's not my internet as my speeds are 2Gbps symmetrical. https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/64d26295-0ba2-4106-bd5d-b52b6d0a3a98
Yeah most cable providers do not have real 4k.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/wha...-the-future-of-4k-over-the-air-tv-guest-post/

Evidently you can pick it up in 4k with a antenna and the proper tuner in some areas.
It won't even be broadcast in 4k right? What's the point?.
Stream it for 8k.

If AT&T streams this, they will claim that they temporarily upgraded your data to 9g and send the packets over IPv9 internet.

Can broadcasts even do 1080p? Uverse only does 720p and 1080i. I think that's based on the networks too. I'm pretty sure fox in general does 720p. Sports and cable in general look like **** on my 4k OLED.

Can broadcasts even do 1080p? Uverse only does 720p and 1080i. I think that's based on the networks too. I'm pretty sure fox in general does 720p. Sports and cable in general look like **** on my 4k OLED.
OTA is, in fact, 1080p uncompressed. Cable companies are FAR behind the curve.

Back