CD Drive shows in BIOS, not in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveskater

Hi, i wouldn't have noticed it if i hadn't gone to install something (Flight Simulator 98, yes i was that bored ;)) but my LG CD-RW Drive is no longer showing up in Windows. I opened up my case and swapped the IDE cable and checked the power connection but it still doesn't show.

I checked my BIOS and it shows up there and it opens, closes and spins up butWindows doesn't recognise it. Something must have happened recently because about a week ago i burnt a cd.

If anybody knows anytihng that could be the problem then let me know, because i'm totally confused on this one.

Do you have a bootable CD? If so see if you can boot from it. That will rule out the drive being faulty and make it a Windows issue.

If it boots from that drive, then remove the drive and if possible the IDE ATAPI controller it is on from device manager and reboot.

ok, i'll give that a go.
i just looked in my computer though and went on the properties of one of my hdd's and went to the hardware tab, and it has it in the list but it says "windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (code 41)" i clicked troubleshoot it doesn't help in the slightest.

hi there dave

i have the same problem last week..and i did everything just to detect my cd rom but it didnt...same problem, loaded the driver but couldnt find the device...i changed the ide cable...i even reinstalled windows, at first it went well from the dos environment, but when its time for the windows to install it couldnt find the cdrom...it was from a foxconn mobo btw...the cdrom is ok..so my last resort is to format the drive and start from the beginning...from then on, it went fine...i dont recommend formatting ur drive...its just that i dont know of any way to detect the drive other than formatting heheh...

i hope i don't have to format my drive, i have too much stuff that i can't afford to lose. does anybody else know any way of fixing it without formatting?
on the microsoft website it said that you get the error i have after uninstalling cd burning software, but i don't remember the last time i uninstalled anything, let alone cd burning software.

Did you ever try to boot from a CD? No use troubleshooting a Windows problem if in fact the hardware is dead.

in my case i tried booting from the cdrom and it worked only from the start, but wen im on windows already and checked if it detected the cdrom...it didnt, also chked the bios to see it was enabled but still no cd drive

so does nobody have an idea other than format my drive?
what about putting a different drive in, would that work?

We don't have any ideas other than what was suggested. You still didn't give the results of what I told you to do in my first post in this thread.

You have to give us feedback otherwise we have to assume you fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back