CD/DVD drive doesn't recognize anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

I just did a fresh reinstall on a laptop. I installed Windows 7 from a disk about a week ago. Everything worked well for a week and now I was given the laptop back and the cd/dvd drive doesn't work. I would guess that the computer is less then a year old and everything else works fine. I put any disk in it makes the noise like its reading and then nothing. It pops open and says insert disk. Everything looks clean, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, there is no spyware or viruses or anything. Anybody have a suggestion on what to do next?

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

I tried all 4 and still nothing. The drive is showing up under removable storage, it is making all the noises like it is reading but nothing will pull up. Any other ideas?

Try to remove the drive and put it back.
If that doesn't help, I'm afraid, it's dead.

I switched it with another drive and the other one worked fine so the drive is dead. I ran into a new problem now. I put the old drive in and I had tried many things. Now virtually everything hangs especialy itunes. There aren't any programs installed on this comp besides cc cleaner, avg and adaware. Why would everything hang? Shouldn't be from just trying a new drive right? Any guesses?

The one i took out of the other laptop worked fine so I don't know why that would mess with anything, even so what can I do do fix it?

It worked fine it its native laptop.
It doesn't mean, it'll work fine in another laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back