CD-ROM, Ethernet Card Not Showing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i just installed Windows XP Professional Edition and my two CD-ROM's are not showing up when i go to My Computer and when i press button on both CD-ROM's they open so they both connected and i used the Windows CD to install Windows so of course it was connected right but when i put a CD in anyone of the drives it don't load up on computer and when i try to access the Internet i can't because my Ethernet Card is not showing up. So i went to control panel then add hardware i saw that my two CD-ROM's and my Ethernet Card was on the list but they all had question marks on them that said device is not hooked up what's wrong here?

Still, try what I linked you to so you can get your CD drives working.

But.... you don't have a CD for your motherboard drivers? Do you have them already downloaded somewhere? You need to have those drivers. If you don't have them, you'll need to download them on a different computer (the one you are using now?) and load them onto a CD and transfer them over.

Question: did you do a fresh install, or is this an upgrade install?

Were can i get drivers for my motherboard and were can i go to see what kind of motherboard i have?

Edit: I had windows xp on my system but it had alot of spyware so i decided to format it then install windows xp again.

I'll brb in about 10-15 mins don't leave me now i'll be back soon my PC is 2 flights upstairs i live in 4 family house.

First, is your computer a "brand" name like a dell, or gateway or something like that? If it is, look on your case for some type of model number. Usually on a sticker somewhere on the case.

If it is not one of those bigname brands, then follow this link and download this program:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/433-everest-home-edition.html

It'll probe your computer and give you the info.

We need to know what your motherboard make and model is. Then you can go to the maker's homepage and find your drivers there. In particular your chipset drivers, as your computer will not function properly without them.

You will also want to check what everest says about your graphics. If you are using integrated graphics then the motherboard maker's site will have the drivers for that, but if you are using a video card we need to know the make/model of the video card as well so you can download the drivers for it.

Every part in your computer needs a driver to allow windows to work with it. Many parts' drivers are INCLUDED in windows, but many are not. When you installed windows ALL your drivers were erased.

I'm stepping away for a bit as well, but will be back shortly. If not, someone else will pick up the torch and walk you through it.

No worries, we'll get you up and running in no time. But first we need to get your CD drive working so follow that link above and see if it works.

Ok i got my CD-ROM drives up and running now i'm going to download that file and put it on my 160 GiG USB storage thing.

My computer is a compaq but it's a older model got it back in 1998. I'm thinking of buying a new one but i want to get my one i have now up and running for the mean time.

My ethernet adapter don;t want to work for nothing i have the service started and everything but when i go to network connetions it shows i have no network adapter so i right click then click refresh and it say make sure the network connections service is up and running when it already is.

Good news!!

Just out of curiousity, was it the steps in the link above that got your CD drive working, or was it something else?

It was the second step in the link. I install my network adapters with CD and it still not showing up in network connectons.

Are you sure you have the right drivers for your network adapter? Is your NIC integrated or is it an add-on card?

We need to know what your motherboard is before going any further...

Ok i install that app on my cousin computer (the one i'm using now) i'm at motherboards what do you want me to write down when i go back to my other computer like motherboard name, motherboard chipset?

I'm using the same CD that came with my network adapter.

In Everest,

click on "motherboard"
then "motherboard"

what does it say under "motherboard ID" and "motherboard name"?

It may be that your computer needs the chipset drivers before you can run your network adapter. Let's give it a shot anyways.

I just noticed in your post above that you edited it. I missed that info... You have a compaq. Ideally we need your compaq model number. That would make things much easier. When you come back with the motherboard info from everest, we can give that a try, but we may still need your compaq model number. No stickers on the case anywhere?

Well, compaqs are tricky. Their motherboards are extremely integrated. Even though you have an intel chipset, it is more than likely modified to work on that specific compaq motherboard you have.

Again, I am the first to admit I know very little about compaqs. I know there are a few guys on this website who know a lot, so hang in there. Alternatively, I'd get in touch with compaq directly (if you have the patience to be on hold for a long time).

As far as I know, compaqs come with a very specific system restore disk, that has all the info on it. Not having it is a pain, but I am sure there is a way to get you running again.

I found out its my windows CD i need another one anyone have a spare windows 98 SE CD i have my CD key i just need the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back