CDPR claims Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually become a "very good game"

jsilva

In brief: In a recent interview with a Polish economic newspaper, CD Projekt Red President Adam Kiciński said Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually become a success as the studio continuously builds upon its foundations. Kiciński stated that better hardware will also help.

After a series of delays, Cyberpunk 2077 was finally released in December 2020, with millions of players flocking to buy the game. However, it didn't live up to the hype as players reported game-breaking issues, especially on Xbox One and PS4. This prompted Sony to remove the title from its digital store.

A few updates later, with the latest one being patch 1.31, the game has become somewhat playable on almost every system, but it still drags behind on some of CDPR's promises. For example, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S players are still waiting for the next-gen upgrade, which has been recently delayed to 2022.

Despite all that happened, Kiciński said the studio will keep improving the game. Per his words, "Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest, most ambitious and definitely the most complicated project in our 27-year history," pushing the studio beyond what they've done until now.

"We're proud of many aspects of the game, but as we know, not everything went our way," stated Kiciński. "Nevertheless, the brand awareness of Cyberpunk that we've managed to build is huge, and the game universe, its characters and details have fans all over the world."

Kiciński added that as the studio keeps working on the game, Cyberpunk 2077 will eventually be considered a "very good game," selling for years to come like many other CDPR titles. Moreover, faster hardware should also help players run the game with better visuals at higher framerates.

While there are no more scheduled updates for 2021, a big patch including the long-awaited next-gen upgrade is expected to land in Q1 2022. According to Kiciński, this patch was delayed because they needed "extra time to fine-tune the visuals and performance of the game to be as high quality as possible throughout the game."

As per the updated roadmap, during 2022, the game will receive more free DLCs, updates and improvements, hoping to raise the game to the promised standards.

Permalink to story.

22888cb0240a34464defaf9b07f5052d.gif

I very much expect this to be true. GTA V used to be an intensive game to run and now it runs on pretty much anything, even some iGPUs at medium settings which is crazy. Over time it will get more optimized and hardware will get faster and eventually it will be a good game worth playing. Similar thing happened with The Witcher 3 which is still their best game by far.

Maybe this is a lesson (hopefully) for game studios - it‘s OK to make your game a showcase for your sponsor‘s hardware *if* you can do it without messing the game up for everyone else.

I do doubt that it was worth it from a business perspective in the end.

Oh, and they‘re ranked #72 on the SteamCharts behind games that I‘ve never even heard about. Comparing the game‘s all time peak to the numbers since February is pretty sad.

I very much expect this to be true. GTA V used to be an intensive game to run and now it runs on pretty much anything, even some iGPUs at medium settings which is crazy. Over time it will get more optimized and hardware will get faster and eventually it will be a good game worth playing. Similar thing happened with The Witcher 3 which is still their best game by far.

Performance and even bugs becoming less of an issue as time and tech marches on is only part of the problem.

The (imho, bigger) other problem however, is the lack of meaningful content: There is only one metric to measure Cyberpunk 2077 and that's Witcher 3. You can take almost *any* quest or side quest in Witcher 3 no matter how minor or irrelevant it seems and you have multiple approaches, meaningful mini arches, interesting characters and things happening, very good writing with lots of world building, the works.

Where as Cyberpunk 2077 gives you a kind of strong first Act IF you pick Streetkid and that's where problems start: right away you can tell it was super rushed since the Corpo and Nomad starts that were supposed to reflect *vastly* different backgrounds basically railroad you into the streetkid path regardless of what you say or choose to do, it's just "Well we ran out of time, just complete 2 small missions at the very beginning that are slightly different but all end on the same place anyway"

And from then it's downhill: the start of the game on free roam has like actual events happening and NPCs that you'd think will come into play through the game but then its just either follow the straight forward path to the end with a few varying branches or mess around with very tacked on, rushed content that pales in comparisson to what Witcher 3 was.

While it's still better content than your average, boring sandbox games devoid of any fun like the ones Ubisoft excretes yearly, it's just far and way worst than any of the Witcher games and that's bearing in mind that Witcher 1 and 2 are *vastly inferior* to Witcher 3 in pretty much all aspects.

After that well it's been a year of nothing happening with the game but bug fixes. No new DLC, none of the tons of promised or heavily implied parts of the game that CDPR flatout just cut right out of the game. It's just a game about you being a future cop that fights a generic corpo on the side for a while before s/he dies. Worthy of the aforementioned cheap & easy sandbox games put out by much lesser companies, not the game that was promised at all.

I'd say it is a pretty good game already (if you have the hardware to run it). I did 2 playthroughs, no gamebreaking bugs. Put almost 100hrs in (which is decent, considering I have been easily getting bored of recent games halfway through).

But I guess it's the popular thing to do to imply the game sucks right now....

/The (imho, bigger) other problem however, is the lack of meaningful content.

I couldn't agree more. They need to make all the systems work properly and affect each other. Police, The Missions you undertake, Your Origin Story etc etc. I can't see them being able to do this. The game is fun and it's pretty but it's shallow as a puddle.

I couldn't agree more. They need to make all the systems work properly and affect each other. Police, The Missions you undertake, Your Origin Story etc etc. I can't see them being able to do this. The game is fun and it's pretty but it's shallow as a puddle.
For the first couple months I was holding out hope it would become a good modding platform instead of a game, not unlike Skyrim which also has (an even greater) lack of content but tons of community effort put into making it something fun.

But after the initial push of a few very cool and respectable early mods, well anything more complex like new quests, subsystems and such never came: seems like most of the modding community already gave up on the game and went back to modding Skyrim instead.

I bought Cyberpunk on release day, a very unusual thing for me to do and I have absolutely loved it. I’ve sunk over 150 hours into it and I’ve had practically no bugs or issues, with the exception of background audio not stopping when it should have on a couple of occasions. I definitely had more issues with Red Dead Redemption 2 and actually quite a few other games like AC Valhalla (the most boring AC ever) now I think about it.

The impression I get is if you have modern RTX graphics hardware, an SSD and a modern powerful 6+ core CPU then you are who they optimised the game for on launch and you will have minimal issues.

The main story is cool but it’s short and kinda predictable, I had a lot more fun on the side missions. If they released DLC they could add more side missions or maybe even a follow on for the main story, if they do I’d buy it.

Maybe this is a lesson (hopefully) for game studios - it‘s OK to make your game a showcase for your sponsor‘s hardware *if* you can do it without messing the game up for everyone else.

I do doubt that it was worth it from a business perspective in the end.

Oh, and they‘re ranked #72 on the SteamCharts behind games that I‘ve never even heard about. Comparing the game‘s all time peak to the numbers since February is pretty sad.
You're talking about a single player game, so steam charts are pretty irrelevant.

Cyberpunk 2077 was a good game. I played it from release night and beat the game twice in two different story modes: Corpo and Streetkid.

The graphics (on my 3090) were amazing.
The gameplay was solid and suprisingly fun.
The music was probably the best I've heard in a game since the 16-bit era.

But the game is "dead" now.

I uninstalled it and moved on to Far Cry 6 and Battlefield.

The hype has died down because the jaded PS4/ Xbox owners who completely trashed it online (since they couldn't play it) and other games have taken its place on the hypetrain.

I doubt anyone is even thinking about Cyberpunk now.

Cyberpunk 2077 was a good game. I played it from release night and beat the game twice in two different story modes: Corpo and Streetkid.

The graphics (on my 3090) were amazing.
The gameplay was solid and suprisingly fun.
The music was probably the best I've heard in a game since the 16-bit era.

I uninstalled it and moved on to Far Cry 6 and Battlefield.

The hype has died down because the jaded PS4/ Xbox owners who completely trashed it online (since they couldn't play it) and other games have taken its place on the hypetrain.

Nah I waiting for an even bigger discount than that at the moment - I have a backlog already.

Hmm no one thinking about Cyberpunk? I don’t think so.

When Cyberpunk re released on the PS4 on June 21st it was top of the PSN charts for June in just 9 days and that was 6 months on from the original launch. There’s clearly pent up demand for it.

I reckon a lot of people are waiting until they get a next gen console and the next gen release of the game to play it. The game may be dead as a premium option to the PC market but the money printing is far from over for CD Projekt Red. Those PS5 and XS versions are going to bring in yet more millions.

There is also the first proper DLC due to arrive next year. Rather than the car and junk we got this year. That will drive up numbers somewhat.

I think it is well documented that Xbox One and PS4 had it bad
Rather unfortunate timing just as the new consoles came out and no one can realistically think it's worth spending on overpriced hardware.
Runs just fine on my 2700X and a 1070.
Hey Ho.

I think it is well documented that Xbox One and PS4 had it bad
Rather unfortunate timing just as the new consoles came out and no one can realistically think it's worth spending on overpriced hardware.
Runs just fine on my 2700X and a 1070.
Hey Ho.
I have an 1800x and a 1070ti. I couldn't max it but I still had a great time. It's obvious where they cut content but I throughly did enjoy spending time in the world. I also did multiple playthroughs because there is more consequence to player choice than any would have you believe. Yeah, the ending is essentially the same but the experience from start to finish varys wildly.

I see it as be careful what you wish for.
Purely from the game developers of course if you go down that road.

I would not be surprised if it would turn out not to be true - considering the amount of patches and their reach, they will axe the development before the game will be properly fixed.

Performance and even bugs becoming less of an issue as time and tech marches on is only part of the problem.

The (imho, bigger) other problem however, is the lack of meaningful content: There is only one metric to measure Cyberpunk 2077 and that's Witcher 3. You can take almost *any* quest or side quest in Witcher 3 no matter how minor or irrelevant it seems and you have multiple approaches, meaningful mini arches, interesting characters and things happening, very good writing with lots of world building, the works.

Where as Cyberpunk 2077 gives you a kind of strong first Act IF you pick Streetkid and that's where problems start: right away you can tell it was super rushed since the Corpo and Nomad starts that were supposed to reflect *vastly* different backgrounds basically railroad you into the streetkid path regardless of what you say or choose to do, it's just "Well we ran out of time, just complete 2 small missions at the very beginning that are slightly different but all end on the same place anyway"

And from then it's downhill: the start of the game on free roam has like actual events happening and NPCs that you'd think will come into play through the game but then its just either follow the straight forward path to the end with a few varying branches or mess around with very tacked on, rushed content that pales in comparisson to what Witcher 3 was.

While it's still better content than your average, boring sandbox games devoid of any fun like the ones Ubisoft excretes yearly, it's just far and way worst than any of the Witcher games and that's bearing in mind that Witcher 1 and 2 are *vastly inferior* to Witcher 3 in pretty much all aspects.

After that well it's been a year of nothing happening with the game but bug fixes. No new DLC, none of the tons of promised or heavily implied parts of the game that CDPR flatout just cut right out of the game. It's just a game about you being a future cop that fights a generic corpo on the side for a while before s/he dies. Worthy of the aforementioned cheap & easy sandbox games put out by much lesser companies, not the game that was promised at all.

It’s an incredibly linear adventure wrapped in a sandbox with technical issues you can see if you zoom your sniper scope at distant traffic.

I'd say it is a pretty good game already (if you have the hardware to run it). I did 2 playthroughs, no gamebreaking bugs. Put almost 100hrs in (which is decent, considering I have been easily getting bored of recent games halfway through).

But I guess it's the popular thing to do to imply the game sucks right now....
It’s like someone promised you a mega Mac (the four burger Big Mac) and in the bag you find a cheeseburger. Yes. The cheeseburger is good. It’s worth the money you paid. It’s got a gerkin. But it’s not a four burger Big Mac with the special Big Mac sauce. It’s just a cheeseburger. Nothing special.

I got to the romance section I think. In a diner and choices to make. I can’t be arsed. I’ll probably pick it up again when I’m bored of everything else.

Playing it on a RTX2060S - runs great and look impressive too. Started as a male Corpo and having a blast - I'm finding the storyline NPCs really well played and add a great deal of richness. Not into 3rd act yet. Got it on GOG so I have no idea as to playtime but I'll guess around 30-40 hours.
Downsides: some storyline character will walk through a car or a filing cabinet, but I've really only seen that happen 3 or 4 times. Difference in combat between street thugs/cops/security and the mini-bosses is far too much - the latter can almost be impossible whilst the former are too dumb and weak. Car GPS and handling needs improving too, as does the perception of speed and distance - actually a lot of it could be improved to make a helluva good game so here's hoping.

Back