CDPR okays refunds for digital or disc copies of Cyberpunk 2077

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
It's not too late: Cyberpunk 2077's launch was arguably the worst we have seen since No Man's Sky's release. The game has definitely not satisfied players' expectations, especially those playing on PS4 and Xbox One. The question is, will CD Projekt Red be able to pull this hype-train-wreck out of the fire in the same way Hello Games did?

Over the weekend, Sony decided to allow refunds to PS4 customers who had bought digital versions of Cyberpunk 2077 through the PlayStation Store due to the number of complaints claiming the game is "unplayable" on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One base units. That took care of Sony's player base, but Xbone users were still stuck with a game many found unsatisfactory.

Fortunately, CD Projekt Red stepped up and apologized for the fiasco on Monday and agreed to issue refunds to PS4 and XB1 players wishing to get their money back. However, the developer mentioned that many updates were coming between now and February to fix the majority of issues players were having.

"First of all, we would like to start by apologizing to you for not showing the game on base last-gen consoles before it premiered and, in consequence, not allowing you to make a more informed decision about your purchase … Second, we will fix bugs and crashes and improve the overall experience … Finally, we would always like everyone who buys our games to be satisfied with their purchase. We would appreciate it if you would give us a chance, but if you are not pleased with the game on your console and don't want to wait for updates, you can opt to refund your copy."

The first patch rolled out today, and another is coming next week. Then there are two "large patches" in the pipe. The first will release in January and the second in February. By that time, CDPR promised it would have the major issues causing the uproar fixed. However, it did note that players should still hold their expectations in check. Those hoping to get next-gen performance on their 7-year-old consoles will be sorely disappointed.

"[The updates] won't make the game on last-gen look like it's running on a high-spec PC or next-gen console, but it will be closer to that experience than it is now," the developer tweeted.

It also noted that the PC version had many patches coming as well.

Refunds are offered for both digital and disc versions of the game. Presumably, CDPR has authorized both Sony and Microsoft to honor refund requests. For physical copies, the company asks players first to try getting a refund from the retailer, but if that fails, email CD Projekt Red, and it will work to make things right.

Permalink to story.

With all of the over-the-top hype involved, and the multiple delays in release, you just knew this was going to be a problematic launch at best.

This game NEVER should have been released on PS4 or Xbox One (original or S or X).

This should have been primarily a PC game with a port to PS5 and XBox Series X.

But what's worse is that the game reviewers weren't allowed to straight up tell everyone "do not buy on PS4 or XBOXO!!!". That's fraud in my opinion and there ought to be a boycott on any game being released in this state.

Not only do they have slow Hard Drives, slow memory, slow CPU and slow GPU but they were just "obsolete" in o many ways that this shouldn't have been allowed by quality control.

I was on the fence about this game because of the time it spent in development.

It runs great on my 3090 FTW3 - better than the 2080Ti by far (which should be the baseline for buying it) but most people can't afford to run it right short of a new console which they probably can't even get due to scalpers.

Imagine if CDPR didn’t do this or release updates!

Still, I’m not going to let them off too quickly, they definitely didn’t finish this before release and clearly rushed it out to get sales of last gen console users before next years PS5 and XSX marketing puts those consoles to bed. Where of course they would have had a big release for those versions of the game.

But at the end of the day it really is an outstanding game. Best open world I’ve played in years and if you have a modern rig and you can turn RT on the graphics are amongst the best you will have ever seen.

At least they've not only said something but also promising to fix the issues in the coming months, If it had been a EA/Ubi game, it'd have just remained broken, the studio would be broken up or told to start work on the DLC / Next game or they would spend a couple of months creating an update roadmap to then just ignore entirely and leave the game.

I feel much less burnt from buying Cyberpunk than I do Destiny 2 or Anthem or Mass Effect Andromeda or WatchDogs 2...

While this is a great game, it has not been a perfect launch and I do feel they should have held back the PS4/XB1 versions. It really does feel like this should have launched on the PC and PS5/XSX first. I personally have no problems with the bugs, it is a RPG after all and I had worse bugs with Skyrim Day one and I still loved it. There are some poor choices in terms of control decisions, but for the most part this game is easily worth the money. I'm playing on the XSX but also booted the game up on my dated PC to see how well it would run. I was really temped to stop playing on the xbox as the controls by default suck, need to turn off all advanced speed up on the controller and lower the dead zone. On My GTX1080 the game plays with very playable frame rate with everything on medium @ 1440p ultrawide. With Crowd density at high the game is impressive, the XSX seems to have medium crowd density and PS5 seems to have low.

So you really don't need to have some really high end rig to play this game, but PS4 & XB1 base models really do not like this game. Even with the low FPS, the pop in and other bugs really are dragging the experience down. The PS4 Pro & XB1X versions are much better in some regards, and honestly are playable IMO. Playable in regards that the frame rates are like playing GTA back in the day. Anyone that played games during the PS2 & 360 era have plenty experience with sub 30fps gameplay.

Xbox Series S seems the be the cheapest way to play this game with good performance.

If you are someone that doesn't have a sense of humor and requires a game to be mostly bug free, this isn't the game for you. You should probably wait a year or two before playing. As for me I'm going to enjoy rocking out with my C0€K out in the inventory screen.

"The first patch rolled out today"

=> wrong, it was released 3 days ago (hotfix 1.04), technically it's also not the first patch

"the developer mentioned that many updates were coming between now and February to fix the majority of issues players were having."

=> they didn't mention fixing "the majority" of the issues, they just said "we will fix bugs and crashes, and improve the overall experience": Also they're promising exactly 3 patches (one this week, one in Jan and another in Feb); I wouldn't consider three as being "many updates".

Any bugs not fixed this week will remain in the game AT LEAST until January because of the Holidays.

Fok them one sided triols. I understand Polish people are not so rich. But ther is a point when it's your dignity.. you loose

These poor older consoles need to be laid to rest, or played on 32” monitors or smaller so u cant see what ur missing.

I got my buddy a good price on a new LG OLED 65” tv two weeks ago (through work connection). I helped him unpack and checked out his original xbox one while he fired up need for speed heat. I hate to sound like a snob but I was appalled at what I saw. I said “dude, why dont you have an xbone X?? This looks really rough”

Next week I bought a “hard drive malfunction” xbone x, wiped it clean reloaded xbox software and handed it to him. Now he can at least see some of what that TV is made for!

I personally have an xbone x and pc (strange combo right?) and I think the X graphics look great.

I havent seen this game personally as Im not much of an RPG guy but I can imagine a game that has a hard time with a RTX 2060 is going to look like and play like dog “s” on a 720p xbox one.

Its a real bummer too, but the ps4 and xbox have had a nice run. I remember drooling playing BF4 at launch on my ps4

While this is a great game, it has not been a perfect launch and I do feel they should have held back the PS4/XB1 versions. It really does feel like this should have launched on the PC and PS5/XSX first. I personally have no problems with the bugs, it is a RPG after all and I had worse bugs with Skyrim Day one and I still loved it. There are some poor choices in terms of control decisions, but for the most part this game is easily worth the money. I'm playing on the XSX but also booted the game up on my dated PC to see how well it would run. I was really temped to stop playing on the xbox as the controls by default suck, need to turn off all advanced speed up on the controller and lower the dead zone. On My GTX1080 the game plays with very playable frame rate with everything on medium @ 1440p ultrawide. With Crowd density at high the game is impressive, the XSX seems to have medium crowd density and PS5 seems to have low.

So you really don't need to have some really high end rig to play this game, but PS4 & XB1 base models really do not like this game. Even with the low FPS, the pop in and other bugs really are dragging the experience down. The PS4 Pro & XB1X versions are much better in some regards, and honestly are playable IMO. Playable in regards that the frame rates are like playing GTA back in the day. Anyone that played games during the PS2 & 360 era have plenty experience with sub 30fps gameplay.

Xbox Series S seems the be the cheapest way to play this game with good performance.

If you are someone that doesn't have a sense of humor and requires a game to be mostly bug free, this isn't the game for you. You should probably wait a year or two before playing. As for me I'm going to enjoy rocking out with my C0€K out in the inventory screen.

The XBSX and PS5 versions are just the XB1X and PS4 Pro versions running in compatibility mode, so CDPR had to develop those versions to an acceptable level in order to have latest gen versions. However, both MS and Sony don't allow for developers to develop XB1X and PS4 Pro only versions of games, if they run on those versions then there has to be a release for the base consoles. That means CPDR had to either delay release for all consoles, or allow for a release on all. They could have sidestepped that by only targeting PS5/XBSX/PC, but I suspect it was a case of those consoles specs not finalising in time, given the game has been in development since 2015.

"CDPR okays refunds"

Well geez, how gracious of them to allow refunds. Yet again showing how progressive the gaming industry is with consumer values!

With less snark: the console release has been horrendous. Such massive performance issues on the primary SKUs indicates laziness, ignorance, mad rush, or a combo of the three.

As for the PC version, I stand by my original assessment, early PS4 quality visuals, borderlands gameplay, doesnt really do anything interesting with the cyberpunk aspect, with braindead AI and a pretty, flat world with almost no interaction.

Why this got hyped is beyond me.

The XBSX and PS5 versions are just the XB1X and PS4 Pro versions running in compatibility mode, so CDPR had to develop those versions to an acceptable level in order to have latest gen versions. However, both MS and Sony don't allow for developers to develop XB1X and PS4 Pro only versions of games, if they run on those versions then there has to be a release for the base consoles. That means CPDR had to either delay release for all consoles, or allow for a release on all. They could have sidestepped that by only targeting PS5/XBSX/PC, but I suspect it was a case of those consoles specs not finalising in time, given the game has been in development since 2015.

Actually the Series X has features all other consoles do not have. Largely due to the way MS has allowed Devs to add features to BC games.

On the Series X and maybe even Series S, you get higher crowd density. Its actually quite noticeable compared to the game running on PS4/5. The game on the PS5 is really lacking on people walking around you. The XSX has two game modes, a 60fps performance mode and a 30fps Quality mode. The quality mode never drops a frame and is really clear and clean. If you watch the Digital Foundry videos you would see all the other enhancements. But IMO CDPR could have done a lot more for the XSX in terms of features. Really see no reason why it couldn't have high crowd density in quality mode.

Back