Certain keyboard keys not working unless you press caps lock and hold shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krooklyn

Hello, I am hoping someone could help me with this issue. I am not sure if I am posting in the right section of the forum so forgive me if i am not. I am using a compaq laptop with windows 7 for an OS. The G, H, 8, and backspace keys decided to stop working. For some reason the only way to get any of those buttons to work is if you put on CAPS lock and hold shift. Then you can use those keys. Im not sure if any other keys have been affected as of yet. Ive tried to google for a solution, which normally helps me fix any computer issues I come accross. So far I can only find the reccomendation to hold the function button and press numlock, and its supposed to remove the, "sticky keys." I am not quite sure what exactly the sticky keys are but I didnt think it was the problem here, and the laptop doesnt seem to have a function button anyways. I have seen the option to turn on sticky keys when holding shift on other computers or tapping shift 8 times, I dont know if it was turned on or if sticky keys cause certain keys to not work unless you hold shift while CAPS lock is on, but if this sounds like something you can help with please advise me of any suggestions. I appreciate any time you take to help or even if youve read this far. Thank you

First thing you do is get a canned air and clean out the keyboard... slowly, carefully, then do it again with the laptop upside down. That rules out the most common cause... dirt, dust, and debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back