Changing Boot Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!

I put together a computer a couple months ago. (ASUS-A8S-X, dual AMD-ATHLON processor 64x2). I installed a hard drive (120 GB) from my previous system which is currently used used as my boot drive (master, C:).

I added this week an additional hard drive (Seagate 500 GB) as a slave drive (F:). I would like to make this new drive the boot drive for my system since the C: drive is 7 years old. Which is the least painful approach to proceed? Windows XP is my operating system.

Regards,

Halo

Just change the boot device priority in the bios, its as simple as that.

Provided both drives are set to cable select you wont have a problem.

I need to understand the sequence of the steps I need to take. Currently the new drive (F:) does not have Windows XP installed on it.

Can I copy Windows XP from the C drive to the F drive? If yes how do I proceed?

Halo

It can be done with third party backup software, but a fresh install would probably be a better idea.

Do you have any backup software already?

I will purchase backup software (any recommendations?) if I need to. I have the original Windows XP CD. Can I copy Windows XP on the F driv,e if currently installed on the C drive?

The only backup software i have tried was Norton ghost and it seemed to be pretty good. I dont have experience of any other software of its type tho.

Hi Technokid and welcome to TechSpot.:wave:

You should make a post in our Introduce Yourself forum for a proper welcome.:)

Halo be sure to remove the other drive before install
this will make sure the boot drive is the right one
windows may use old drive as boot and put the OS on the new drive
at least xp does this I don't know about vista

Welcome Technokid!

I am planning to keep the old drive as well on the commputer. As long as one drive is master and the other is slave, I do not foresee a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back