Check out this cool global Netflix directory before it disappears

dkpope

Staff

Netflix is fighting against unblockers and VPNs in hopes of cutting down piracy levels, but that's like trying to patch holes on a bucket filled with water. Patch one hole, the rest are still leaking. The leak in question today is called country-hopping, it's where Netflix users change their location so they can have access to different Netflix libraries. To help people on this quest, there’s the global Netflix search engine (unofficial, of course) that will tell you where you should virtually reside to watch a particular movie.

As you probably already know, Netflix’s library is very different depending on the region. The US traditionally has one of the best Netflix movie libraries, but now that Netflix has expanded to 130 additional countries there’s sure to be something new US users can find elsewhere.

According to an interview with TorrentFreak, the “unofficial Netflix online Global Search” (uNoGS) was made by ‘Brian’ for his own use, but eventually, he put it online and (not surprisingly) it has attracted a lot of attention. We all know one of the most annoying things you can encounter in our new and improved world is searching for a movie on Netflix and not finding it. No, Netflix, I don't want to watch a related title!

The uNoGS isn’t illegal itself (it’s just a list, right?) but it treads into some dicey areas. Netflix is under pressure from copyright owners to tackle piracy by way of country-hopping, and uNoGS just makes that practice easier and more public. So if you’re curious, check the directory out sooner than later.

Permalink to story.

**** content owners and **** Netflix. First they try to extort tens of thousands of dollars with threatening e-mails to people who supposedly pirated movies/shows, and now PAYING customers are still treated like pirates just because they want to watch something and they happen to be in the wrong region of the world. It's just disgusting how greedy these ****ers are.

It's funny how Netflix is cracking down on "piracy" right after they raised their prices. I live in Canada and we pay the same price as the Americans next door, yet our library of movies and shows on Netflix is about half what they have. So a lot of people I know were using VPNs to level the playing field, so to speak. Now they raised their price and trying to block VPNs. Basically we're getting less and paying more. I'm dumb, so can someone explain to me how this is fair or why we should keep paying for Netflix? And no, "well you're still getting a big selection for a low price" is not the correct answer.

umbala
I am amazed at your reasoning. You are perfectly free to cancel your Netflix and take your $7.99 a month CAD and go buy a single cup of specialty Starbucks coffee or a Big Mac at McDonalds, they cost pretty much the same as a month of Netfllix, maybe they will leave you more satisfied.

Everyone is blaming Netflix... this is not all their fault and never has been. This has been an issue since the days of the DVD with region coding. http://www.investopedia.com/article...netflix-content-different-other-countries.asp
This is my 'pet peeve' as well. I like anime, so much of what I like is available, but only in the UK, not Canada. North America is region A or 1, UK is region B or 2. Blu-rays that are unavailable here I could buy from the UK very inexpensively, but part of the joy of owning is watching with a friend or loaning them to friends/co-workers who might enjoy them. If they are not North American coded it's pointless. They are losing sales from me and likely many others and the only change required is the region coding. It seems odd that in trying to protect some kind of 'right' they are losing sales from an entire continent and not a change to the discs would be required other than region coding.

Back