ChilliGreen 2TB, brand new keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Just got home 3hrs ago with my new ChilliGreen 2TB USB HDD. Everything looked perfect I just plugged it in, in installed itself I didn't even have to create a partition it was already made, so yeah I start copying my files immediately, but the damn thing keeps crashing every time it crashes I hear that sound windows XP makes when you disconnect a USB device, and 5 seconds later it reconnects again and it works again for a random amount of time, the shop says this is a problem on my PC but I don't know how I clicked the Optimize for stability (the option in windows) button as well but nothing good happened, what else can I do?

P.S. I have 4 USB drives non of them have this issue tried plugging the drive into and USB 1.0 into USB 2.0. and even an USB HUB but no matter what I do the result is the same.

P.S. #2: The drive does not have drivers officially it just installed with something from Microsoft, it's my only drive that does not specify a name it's just External Drive 0 USB Device, official drivers do not exist, could this be the source of the problem?

I'd try the drive on one of the back panel USB connections on your computer. Try a different USB cable too, obviously Windows thinks the drive is being disconnected even if it isn't.

I can think of a few reasons this could happen:
1. You are disconnecting the drive (unlikely).
2. Your drive is pulling more power than the USB Port can provide. (Unlikely for a drive of that size at this time since its using 3.5" hds which require a separate power source, unlike 2.5" externals which may pull power from the USB Port itself).
3. Faulty USB cable (also pretty unlikely).

If you can't fix it by a new cable or ensuring the drive is running off external power (can you hear it spinning down at any point?). Then take it back to the shop and make them make it work with one of their machines.

All 3 of my scenarios seem pretty unlikely, so there may be something else wrong, but I can't think of what.

1. You are disconnecting the drive (unlikely).
Its possible that it comes loose out of your USB port. Listen to the harddrive when it disconnects, try to see if it physically stops spinning or slows down.

It won't spin down if it comes out of the USB port, this is a 2TB external, which has 2 1TB drives in it, they are 3.5" drives, so they have to get their power from an external source (other than the USB port). Your point is still valid that it could have a bad connection at the USB point, and it could also be getting bad power (bad connection, bad wiring, bad circuitry in the AC/DC converter) but the 2 aren't connected (or shouldn't be) in this case. If it was a "portable" external, like the 2.5" ones, then you'd be right on.

Sounds like device has a defect. I'd recommend returning to where you bought it and getting a replacement.

Well today Windows announced that my hardware was not installed properly and may not work correctly, but the HDD is working twice as fast then yesterday (it was working with 3,2MB today it's working with 12MB), I disabled the "Compress drive to save disk space" and so far it copied 10GB with no error. I wrote to chiligreen regarding the drivers since they did not release them yet, hopefully they will reply and the HDD will work until then.

I was good while it lasted it chrashed again. Replaced the USB cable nothing better.

P.S. When I'm copying files FROM the Chiligreen everything works fine and it doesn't disconnect.

There shouldn't be drive specific drivers. Windows will install some generic ones for any external USB hd, so I don't think device drivers are your issue. I would still take it to the shop and have them prove to you that it isn't the drives fault.

Do you have any other computer you can try it on?

Also, you definitely do not want to use 'compress drive'. It has nothing to do with your problem, but it kills performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back