Chinese researcher says he created the world's first genetically altered babies

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Although the practice holds plenty of potential, it’s still very premature. Ethics also play a big role in the debate as gene editing essentially allows humans to “play God” and create children with desirable traits which some label as “designer babies.”

A Chinese researcher claims he helped create what is believed to be the world’s first genetically altered babies – twin girls born earlier this month whose DNA was edited to make them more immune to contracting HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Researcher He Jiankui said he modified embryos from seven couples during fertility treatments using a tool called CRISPR-Cas9. The tool essentially allows scientists to “operate” on DNA, ideally to disable a faulty gene or supply one that is missing.

As the Associated Press highlights, gene editing has only recently been trialed in adults to treat life-threatening diseases. In such tests, the changes are confined to just the individual and aren’t passed down to offspring. Sperm, egg or embryo editing is different, however, as changes can be inherited.

Plenty of people in the medical and scientific community are up in arms over the matter. Professor Julian Savulescu, an expert in ethics at the University of Oxford, said that “if true, this experiment is monstrous. The embryos were healthy - no known diseases.”

Dr. Yalda Jamshidi, an expert in human genetics at St George's, University of London, concurs. “We know very little about the long term effects, and most people would agree that experimentation on humans for an avoidable condition just to improve our knowledge is morally and ethically unacceptable.”

It’s worth noting that there is no independent confirmation of Jiankui’s claim and his work hasn’t been published in a journal for peer review.

Lead image courtesy andriano.cz, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Seems odd that he would select HIV/AIDS for the DNA "editing." These days, you really have to go out of your way to contract HIV/AIDS.

I would think something like polio or tuberculosis would be more useful.

This is an exceptionally stupid way to start experimenting on people who have no choice in the matter. To *maybe* reduce the chances of contracting a disease which already has low transmissibility, is manageable with treatment, and which is avoidable by someone who is motivated to do so is ethically bankrupt.

Congrats Dr. Jiankui on fooling a family into becoming guinea pigs for your Dr. Frankenstein dreams.

The Ars Technica article on this has more details on why this particular case is reckless and probably immoral, but it may also be partially fraudulent.

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1418389

I'm all for gene line editing when the situation really calls for it and when they get the technology right, which isn't quite yet. The BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes might be suitable cases for editing.

Seems odd that he would select HIV/AIDS for the DNA "editing." These days, you really have to go out of your way to contract HIV/AIDS.

It has to do with Chinese culture methinks ... I don't believe is easy to live with HIV even in Europe - not to mention US where people die because they can't afford insulin, yet alone HIV drugs. I believe he was approached and he probably chosen to make a quick buck - and a rich Chinese family can sleep soundly at night now ....

What are they going to do to test this? Try and give them HIV? I'm a bit confused.

If they really feel they have to screw with someone's life, then why not do it with something out of the ordinary so they know for sure? Like a redhead asian baby?

What if this human has some other major issue they caused in this process? Are they going to murder the baby?

I don't wanna throw stereotypes, but aren't Chinese people only good at copying others lately? I am not talking about the great things they invented hundreds of years ago. I am talking about any product that looks almost exactly like its European designed brother but costs cheaper.

I have read the story somewhere else. It seems he didn't provide proof and also didn't publish it scientifically explaining the process. So I d be very skeptical at this time about his project.

It has to do with Chinese culture methinks ... I don't believe is easy to live with HIV even in Europe - not to mention US where people die because they can't afford insulin, yet alone HIV drugs. I believe he was approached and he probably chosen to make a quick buck - and a rich Chinese family can sleep soundly at night now ....

The average price of a $200-a-month pill is about $7 for most people on Medicare. For those who don't qualify there are at least dozens of programs in the US to supply insulin and other drugs to those without insurance (all taxpayer funded, of course - Big Pharma NEVER gives anything away for free). If you're not taking advantage of those programs its because you're either incapable of seeking help or simply can't be bothered.

As to the alleged Chinese gene tampering: if you were going to pick a way to create an unstoppable pandemic, this is exactly how you would go about it.

Yeah...A ruthless one party state, controlling its people and their lives at every turn, gives permission to one of its scientists to find a way of genetically altering babies.

Not a troubling thought, at all.

I understand the scale of this but what the change was so small I don't see the point in saying the parents don't understand the risks. They do. If for whatever reason they don't read a consent form which is effecting their own child not adopted. Then by all means in my book they are stupid uncaring parents.

The problem is almost certainly not the change. The problem is that CRISPR/Cas9 is not perfect, through it is a fantastic technology. It can make other nonspecific edits and that behavior needs to be *extensively* documented and mitigated before we start using the technique on other sentient people who have zero choice in the matter.

Back