Choosing a Laptop for school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Lancer

I'm thinking of getting a Laptop for school, but since Ive only ever brought/built desktops before, I'm not really sure what laptop would be best, only what I want from it and can afford...

-I can spend around £500.
-Needs to be powerful enough to run Visual Studio 2008 without any problems (VS08 is probs the most demanding app I'll use at school)
-At least Dx9 with pixel shader 3. Dx10 would be nice if possible
-If possible without spending too much I wouldn't mind being able to play games at decent settings (eg HL2:Episode 2) without lag

Ive had a look around but couldn't realy find anything useful to tell me if a laptop is capable of what I want or not...this looks like it may be more than capable, but I'm not really sure if thats the case, nor if it's actauly a good deal for £499...
http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...=NRS15352&l=en&oc=N0953504&rbc=N0953504&s=dhs

Not a fan of Dell's builds but that computer looks adequate for your needs; should run Visual Studio 2008 without a problem. Not sure about Episode 2 but you may be able to get away with it minus a few of the Source engine's newer high-end video features. Just be careful because if you end up having problems with it trying to get good tech support at Dell can be a daunting task.

Ok I spoke with some people, and it appears I might be able to get most non-Dell laptops for a 5 to 10% discount (since Dell don't sell to retailers/supliers...) since they have contracts/whatever with various supply compaines (Although they don't deal in Laptops, they said they could still get 1 unit at below the rrp for me as a mate).

I'm really not sure where to go to look for non-dell laptops though. I tried the sony site but just got presented with a system organised by the various series, rather than by power/price, and there doesn't seem to be any aprox prices on the site :(

School development

Wow....
First of all congractulations. I think its better to visit other famous web sites which providing the total information about the "laptops".

================

cadeburton

widecircles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back