Chrome slips past Safari in US browser share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Based on StatCounter's latest data, Google Chrome has skipped by Apple Safari in usage, becoming the third most popular browser in the United States. After recording 874 million page views in the US during the week of June 21 to June 27, the firm determined that Chrome represents 8.97% of the market, leaving Safari to claim a lesser 8.88%. Meanwhile, Internet Explorer remained dominate at 52% and Firefox held 28.5%.

Globally, Chrome has long surpassed by Safari in usage share, so this shouldn't come has a great shock. StatCounter logged some 3.6 billion page views worldwide, showing Chrome has nearly twice the following with 9.4% versus 4% for Safari. Again, IE and Firefox occupied much of remaining market at 53% and 31%, respectively.

Today's news is both impressive and ironic. Not only has Chrome seized nearly 10% of the US market in under two years, its success is thanks in part to WebKit, the same engine open-sourced by Apple, who uses it in both desktop and mobile versions of Safari.

Permalink to story.

It seems it's just a matter of time until Google snatches any spotlight Apple has left in both mobile and browser market.

With Android 2.3 already in development, Android phones getting released every second, with the Adroind Apps increasing, with Chrome being not only more used, but actually better than Safari, again, it's only a matter of time.

While Jobs is worried about who to blame now for the manufacuring issues the IPhone 4 has, he does not know what's coming.

The thing that isn't very fair about this, is that companies require their employees to use IE. So IE has an advantage that kind of makes the whole browser war unbalanced. I'd like to see what would happen if companies allowed their employees to use whatever browser they wanted.

Anyway, good to see Chrome passing Safari. I'm still half and half with Chrome and Firefox. I generally have both running at the same time (Chrome on one monitor, Firefox on the other).

Tekkaraiden said:
I don't think Jobs is too worried, remember they're a hardware company

Yeah...an over priced hardware company :p

Apple is very good at what they do and at the moment set the mark in almost every category ('cept perhaps price - though sometimes you get what you pay for). We should be quite thankful for what they have done in encouraging the others to 'pull up their socks'. Apple even provides the core of Chrome (web kit). Apple-envy is a childish disease. However, I do prefer Chrome as a browser - Google has done a great job to make it 'feel' fast and it's getting more stable at time goes on. The plugins aren't quite up to Firefox yet but may soon be there - most of the important plugins are already. Firefox is just so damn slow but we'll see what version 4 holds. Once Safari 5 is stable on Windows and the extensions/plugins infrastructure is out of alpha, it will again be able to make a run for best browser - so I wouldn't count it out yet - Apple has alot more pull in the industry now that it rules the mobile market and has the best PC OS and slickest hardware in general.

Google chrome has what it takes to be the best browser. I myself use it as it is fast, safe and customizable as well. It deserves to be the number one.
http://www.************.com/health-...ps-to-achieve-rip-and-toned-body-2670354.html

while i see this as a good thing, you must still remember that Apple, Google, and Microsoft and in this for one thing. money. money is all that drives them. most people seem to overlook the fact that mozilla is over 80% donation funded.
i have used chrome, IE, safaria, and several other browsers, and unfortunately, the one that provides the security and features i want, is Firefox.
time and time again it proves worthwhile to use, and as for the speed of chrome, turn on cookie security features and lock it down and its actually slower than firefox.
so you pick security and freedom in browsing or speed and "comfortablity".
As an IT professional in the field i must say that as far as security is concerned IE and firefox are the top 2 browsers available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back