Class-action lawsuit filed against Nintendo over Switch's Joy-Con drifting issue

midian182

TechSpot Editor
Staff member

Some Switch users have complained about their Joy-Con controllers suffering from drifting, which sees them automatically drift across in one direction after extended use; it’s especially noticeable in first-person games. While some say calibrating them can help, others claim the controllers eventually become unusable.

GoNintnedo writes that early this week, the law offices of Chimicles, Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith (CSK&D) wanted to hear from Switch owners experiencing the drifting problem. It has now officially filed a class-action lawsuit against Nintendo of America, which alleges that the joysticks on the Joy-Con controllers are defective

“The complaint, filed on behalf of purchasers of Switches and Joy-Con controllers, brings claims under various consumer protection statutes as well as various warranty and common law claims,” states the CSK&D website.

The plaintiff in the case is Ryan Diaz, who says the left joystick on his Joy-Cons started drifting 11 months after he bought the console in July 2017. He sent them off to Nintendo to be repaired under the one-year warranty, but three months after they were sent back, the refurbished controllers started drifting again. Diaz had bought his Switch with an extra set of Joy-Con controllers, but after 13 months of use, these also started drifting. As both Joy-Con controllers were rendered unusable and out of warranty, Diaz had to buy two additional left-hand units for $45.00 each from Amazon.

Anyone who has experienced similar issues and wants to join the class action suit just needs to fill out their details on the CSK&D website.

Permalink to story.

gamerk2

TS Evangelist
What's ironic is this should be a total non-issue; most software is designed to automatically consider a joysticks center based on it's position at start. This would totally eliminate drift if the cause is the center position drifting slightly over time. Other then that, a slightly wider deadzone could help if it's just a sensitivity issue, which again can be done software side.

Evernessince

地獄らしい人間動物園
What's ironic is this should be a total non-issue; most software is designed to automatically consider a joysticks center based on it's position at start. This would totally eliminate drift if the cause is the center position drifting slightly over time. Other then that, a slightly wider deadzone could help if it's just a sensitivity issue, which again can be done software side.
According to the article people have tried calibrating them, which I assume includes re calibrating the center. I think these products may just be borked.

Trillionsin

TS Evangelist
I've not had this issue on my joy-cons, and after he went through 3 pairs I'd this this was a user created problem.

Maybe I'm lucky?

BlackCatRokusho

TS Rookie
My fiance started having this issue with the switch I bought her, and I just started having it happen on mine too, glad to know it's not just from playing too much monster hunter.

gamerk2

TS Evangelist
According to the article people have tried calibrating them, which I assume includes re calibrating the center. I think these products may just be borked.
If the offset is bad enough I could see being unable to move the stick in one direction due to loss of range; the article really doesn't make clear the exact mode of failure; are we talking a small persistent drift, or an axis being completely misaligned?