"Classic Shell Needs to Configure Itself..."

Skeezix

Running Windows 10 Home edition

Whenever I start my computer I get a message stating that Classic Shell needs to configure itself for the new operating system, but when I attempt to let it I get another message stating that the administrator has blocked the action. I also get a Close button but nothing else. On another computer that's also running Classic Shell, I never see these messages.

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting. Can somebody please point me in the right direction? BTW I'm using Classic Shell, not Open Shell.

Sounds like you are at work with a Domain connected PC. If so, this will NEVER work.

What are you attempting to do with the Classic Shell?

You don't need Classic Shell. I remember using it years ago to simplify the dog's dinner of an OS that was Windows 8. Windows 10 is easy to use so maybe just uninstall Classic Shell which was freeware anyhow.

Both computers are used at home. They are connected using a wired router. I use Classic Shell as a replacement for the Windows 10 file manager. My wife also uses it on her computer, but her computer is the only one that comes up with the message.

If you must have Classic Shell because you cannot handle the Windows 10 interface uninstall it then reinstall it. It hasn't been updated for years so there'll be no support.

Some time ago I did uninstall ClassicShell and installed OpenShell, but for for some reason that I can't remember right now, I reverted to ClassicShell. Some niggly little thing that OpenShell wouldn't do that ClassicShell would.

Because the problem I described in this thread only occurs on the wife's computer, I'll just reinstall OpenShell on her computer. She won't know the difference :).

If she reads that post you'll see a difference. :) Before lock down the local libraries ran computer courses for newbies and those technically challenged. It was mainly female library staff trying to explain how to use a PC to middle aged gentlemen.

Throw the crutches away and get with the W10 program.

I don't know whether you are or not but you are fighting a losing battle against Microsoft. The thread went chauvinistic in case nobody else noticed. While it's unreasonable to expect us men to master the complexity of a washing machine or dishwasher be aware that females are able to work with Windows 10.

Back