Clean Install with XP Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget123

I am building a new system. The only full version of Windows I have is v3.1. I have upgraded eversince. This was fine up to Win98, but the last time I did a clean install with XP, it didn't validate v3.1. I had to get a MS tech to give me a psuedo key code to install my XP upgrade version.

I may be able to get a copy of MS 95 full version for validation, but I think that may be too old for XP. Is there a way to install XP on my new SATA drive using only my XP Upgrade Version? I intend to use my present main ATA drive on one of the MB IDE's as an added backup and a guide when installing programs and files..will format it and use it as storage later. I guess this is why MS would like people to purchase full versions occasionally, but they should cut some slack for those only having Upgrade versions when we need to reformat.

Thanks

Lend a NT/95/98/Me/2000 CD from someone. XP prompts you to insert one of those once during the install. I think upgrading from 95 is supported by XP.

on my win xp pro upgrade box, it says you will need win 98, win 98 se, win me, win nt 4.0, win 2000 pro, or win xp home.

i do not know about the home edition upgrade but for the pro edition upgrade, windows 95 will not work according to my box.

do any of you guys (girls too) know if the upgrade cd's of win 98 and higher will work for win xp upgrade?

Great link from Nodsu. As the statement from Microsoft says, not upgradeable from Windows 3.1 or 95. You could hop over to TigerDirect and build a new computer for under $400 since you already have the OS and, still keep your old 3.1 for whatever you nedd it for.

I read the Microsoft link that Nodsu included. Thanks. I looked for this info the other night.

This though is about upgrades. IOW, what OS can up upgrade from... to XP? I am doing a clean install on a new hard drive..using an XP boot disk to tell the computer how to boot if necessary (The new HD should have a disk with it to use as well), but when I begin to load XP Home (upgrade version) sooner or later it will ask me to show proof of an earlier version of a Microsoft Windows product. If I can use my 98 or 98SE Upgrade disk for proof...then I am OK. If it sees it as an upgrade and wants to see a full version, I am hosed. This is what I am asking. Will an earlier upgrade version of 98 or 98SE satisfy the "earlier version" prompt when loading XP home on a new Drive?

Thanks

Yes, anything past W95 should do it....so one of your 98 should be the key for you. Good luck. :)

Originally posted by Gadget123
If I can use my 98 or 98SE Upgrade disk for proof...then I am OK. If it sees it as an upgrade and wants to see a full version, I am hosed. This is what I am asking. Will an earlier upgrade version of 98 or 98SE satisfy the "earlier version" prompt when loading XP home on a new Drive?
Thanks

It should satisfy otherwise things would go absurd. Suppose you upgaded from Win 3.1 to Win 98. XP would have to ask you for 3.11 floppies then.

Or what if you have upgraded all the way from 3.11 like this: 3.11 -> 95 -> 98 -> 2000. XP install would have to ask for the original installation media for every one of these.

Originally posted by Nodsu
It should satisfy otherwise things would go absurd. Suppose you upgaded from Win 3.1 to Win 98. XP would have to ask you for 3.11 floppies then.

Or what if you have upgraded all the way from 3.11 like this: 3.11 -> 95 -> 98 -> 2000. XP install would have to ask for the original installation media for every one of these.
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I've tossed in a Windows 98 (first edition) upgrade disk as proof of a prior Windows OS when I used my XP Pro upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back