[Closed] PC performance & stability report analysis virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penco

This is my first time using this forum.

I've read up on the procedure of listing logs so I can receive accurate help through your forum. Unfortunately, I'm hung up on step two.

I downloaded MBAM and loaded it to a flashdrive. Installing MBAM goes well and at the last second displays "ACCESS DENIED". Is there any way around this?

Lastly, the virus affecting my work PC is best described as "PC performance & stability report analysis". No icons can be viewed on my desktop or in C drive. However, I can view files in my jump drive and access the "start" bar.

Also, if this is of any interest, Microsoft Security Essentials removed two viruses from the computer when doing a pre-scheduled scan. This removed the annoying Pop-up, but I still dont have access to my desktop icons or filesystem of C drive.

Thank you for any and all help,
Ian

To clear up the errors I am receiving when attempting to install MBAM...
(First)
Run-Time Error '53':
File not found: mbamnet

(Second)
Setup
Access is denied

(Last)
ERROR
Setup was not completed. Please correct the problem and run Setup again.

Welcome to TechSpot! I'll help you get out of this spot!

When you refer to your work PC, is it the same system? We are working on just one system- yes?

First of all, know that the files and programs, as well as icons are not gone. They have been given an attribute that causes them to be hidden> we will unhide them in time.

Also, do not be alarmed or attempt to 'fix' these alerts and error messages you are getting. That is also part of the malware. We will also resolve those in time.

Can you get into Normal Mode? Can you connect to the internet? I'm not clear on just what was done here:
I downloaded MBAM and loaded it to a flashdrive. Installing MBAM goes well and ....

If there is no internet connection, programs can be downloaded using a good system directly to the flash drive. Then the flash drive can be connected to the problem computer and if possible, the scan should be run in Normal Mode. If any of the programs you download tell you there is an update, get it and it will then be on the flash.
================================
For the problem with Malwarebytes, try this:
Please download randmbam.exe

It will try to create random names and shortcuts for Malwarebytes Anti Malware(MBAM) if you have it installed already.

Once done, try running a scan again. Let me know if this works. If so, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
========================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
If I have not replied for 2 days, you can send me a PM reminder. Include the URL of your thread. Please do not send me a PM to tell me your logs are up.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================
If the difficulties continue when trying to run the scans, please let me know.

Only one system is infected. Not my personal computer, but a work computer. I am sending you this message from another functional computer at work.

The infected computer cannot access the internet since the virus hit. I downloaded MBAM from a clean computer and transferred it to the infected one via flashdrive.

Thank you for reassuring me about the "missing files" and false warnings. I figured there was something fishy going on.

I can get the system running in normal and safe mode, but both cannot connect to the internet/ files are hidden.

My problem lies in that MBAM cannot be installed on the infected computer. The error messages stop the install process. I downloaded the MBAM software directly from MBAM's website (I tried at least four times). So at this moment I have no way to run any reports or scan the system.

Thank you for the prompt reply,
Ian

No luck with randmbam.exe

The program completes the process of creating a random MBAM filename, but nothing shows up on the desktop. Should I try to run it on the clean computer and move the randomly generated file to the infected computer?

The desktop of the infected computer is completely blocked off from use. I cannot drag and drop files, create files, or right click the decktop for options.

When putting the infected computer in safe mode, I can edit the desktop and found all of the randomly generated MBAM install file names I had created earlier. When running any of these an error '53' pops up and won't even let me start the install process.

Brick wall after brick wall!

Bobbye,
The manager at work became a little anxious to get the computer up and running again and called a professional.

Since my last post I was able to restore the file system and desktop by using unhide.exe.

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Even when the technician is done, do you think it would be wise to complete the virus removal steps to make sure there aren't any lingering issues?

-Ian

The manager at work should provide the office with an IT person to fix his systems.

We are all volunteers here, giving free help to members with home computers.

Since your manager got impatient after only one day, and has not provided the office with IT help, it surely seems appropriate that he hired the help and paid for it.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back