CMOS Checksum Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spetznaz24

I got this annoying problem. Somehow my bios was reset and the next time i started my comp, this error appeared right after the drives were recognized. It says CMOS Checksum error,defaults loaded, press f1 to continue or del to enter setup. The problem initially was that I had a usb keyboard which would not function because usb keyboard support was reset in the bios.Obviously I couldnt get anyway. All I have to do is press f1 to solve this damn problem. So i got a regular ps2 keyboard, thinking that it would work, however to my surprise it doesnt! I tried another ps2 keyboard, same result. I am now very frustrated and annoyed. What do i do now? The two keyboards work on other pc's. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

how old is the computer? you can get the same message when the CMOS battery dies. the averae lifespan of the cmos battery is 2-3 years.

its only a year old, i dont think it has anything to do with cmos battery, even if this was a case, keyboards would still work.

The other possibility is that you have a corrupted bios. if there is a newer bios available you could try flashing to it. if not you could reflash witht he lastest bios available. had you removed or added any hardware prior to this happening?

yeah yesterday i was playing around with the bios setup. but i dont think i changed anything. everything was fine. and today this happens. how would i be able to reflash the bios ? i cannot get past the checksum error and keyboard doesnt work. iss there any other way?

if this happened after you were in the bios then some setting is probably the casue of the problem. try resetting the bios by unpluging the computer, hold down the power button to drain any residual power and then remove the cmos battery. let it set for about 15 min then replace the battery and try booting up. this should reset the cmos settings to default. if that does not solve the problem go to your mobo makers site and download the latest bios for your board. they should have one that can be flashed from dos on boot up.

well heres what i have done for the last 12 hrs.
i took everything out, placed the mobo on a cardboard, booted up with only a hard drive, video card and memory. To my surprise , it booted fine and i got into windows. the keyboard worked so i was able to press f1 to continue.so thinking everything is solved, i installed everything back into the case. then to my dismay same problem occurs. checksum error. press f1 to continue , keyboard doesntr work. so again i take everything out, but this time that wont work. same checksum error. what could be causing this

Reset the CMOS data by removing the battery from the motherboard for 10/15 seconds or use the CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS data (read your motherboard manual).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back