Coaxial cable for TV tuner card interfering with DSL internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 card and installed it in my computer - the AGP slot is the topmost slot. My D-Link ethernet card is in the bottom-most PCI slot. I hooked up the coaxial cable to the ATI card and discovered that my internet conection stopped working - ie. packets were getting lost. I discovered that this happens whenever the coaxial cable is close to the network card/RJ45 cable. It doesn't even have to be attached to the computer. So it seems that some kind of EMF from the coaxial cable is interfering with the internet connection.

Any suggestion on how to make these both work in close proximity?
I considered a more expensive (shielded, grounded) coaxial cable but don't want to buy that unless I'm sure it'll work.

Or you could use a shielded CAT 5 cable for your network.

Just a suggestion that may not work...

Wrap the coaxial cable in aluminium/tin foil (the common kitchen variety) and cover it in insulation tape or similar. Ground the the sheilding at the other end of the cable plug it in, and see if it helps. (that's really all sheilding in Coax is anyway)

Switching the NIC to 10Mbit will move the operating frequency out of the TV band and should remove any interference.

The aluminum foil idea crossed my mind too. That seems to be the only thing I can try so far. My NIC is already operating at 10MBit. Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back