CoD: Black Ops 4 reportedly drops solo campaign, adds Battle Royale mode

midian182

Staff member

The Call of Duty series is best-known for its multiplayer action, but throughout the franchise’s 15-year history, the games have always contained a solo campaign. According to a report from Polygon, however, that won’t be the case with Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.

Citing an anonymous source with knowledge of the project’s status, Polygon writes that as Black Ops 4’s October release date drew closer, it became obvious that development on the single-player campaign wouldn’t be completed. Activision and Treyarch are now concentrating on making the multiplayer and Zombies mode bigger and better than ever before. There’s also reportedly going to be a co-op mode as a replacement for the solo campaign.

As noted by Kotaku, previous CoD games’ Zombie modes, while designed for co-op, have included a single-player option, so Black Ops 4 might not be completely “multiplayer-only.”

Activision has responded to Polygon’s request for comment with: “We don’t comment on rumor and speculation. We look forward to revealing Black Ops 4 on May 17th.”

While the lack of a single-player campaign will likely disappoint the many fans who enjoy them, there may be a new element in Black Ops 4 to fill the gap: a Battle Royale mode. With PUBG and Fortnite: Battle Royale both proving incredibly popular, more devs are adding last man standing modes to their games. Website Charlie Intel believes Black Ops 4's Battle Royale mode will be created by Raven Software, which was behind Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.

Those who prefer their Call of Duty games to be a solitary experience may want to check out the upcoming Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, which will reportedly lack any multiplayer mode.

Whether removing the single-player campaign turns out to be a one-off for the series, or if we can expect to see the franchise become what is essentially a multiplayer-only affair, may depend on players' reactions to Black Ops 4.

Permalink to story.

Single player is the most compelling reason to buy a CoD game. This last minute fad following move is...suboptimal.

I'd say that helps my purchase decision, but I haven't bought a CoD game for more than $20 ever lol

I really liked DOS: WWII solo campaign and wished it was longer. I played Zombie multiplayer for a couple of hours and regular multiplayer for a couple of hours and while they were fun, I'll not likely go back to them. Never been big on the MP aspect of FPS.

I do like MP racing games though. But even those are being ruined by the addition of loot boxes (NFS:payback). All I want in multiplayer is just straight up head to head racing like the good old Ridge Racer days. I don't even want any modifications or tuning, cosmetics are ok, but otherwise leave it Plain Jane or I'm spending my money on something else.

I've always preferred solo campaign's over multi-player. Although I have put in my hours in MP too - they just get tiresome after a short while. You add in the cheaters and foul-mouthed kids and it can be a turn-off in a real hurry.

Doesn't matter what game, how popular, or how big the ratings, if the developer doesn't include a solo campaign option, I won't be purchasing.

It's official, Battle Royale is now uncool.

At any given time, there are exactly two good versions of any game format. For example, Quake and Unreal Tournament (classic multiplayer FPS), Battlefield and CoD (modern FPS), Skyrim and Fallout 4 (AAA RPGs), Gran Turismo and Forza (racing sims), etc. This is the rule of twos.

Battle royal is owned and operated by PUBG and Fortnite.

Per the rule of twos, this decision is mathematically guaranteed to flounder.

At any given time, there are exactly two good versions of any game format. For example, Quake and Unreal Tournament (classic multiplayer FPS), Battlefield and CoD (modern FPS), Skyrim and Fallout 4 (AAA RPGs), Gran Turismo and Forza (racing sims), etc. This is the rule of twos.

LOL...I never looked at it that way, but you're right.

Speaking of Unreal Tournament, I sure wish they'd come out with a new version. Man, that was a fun game.

Call of Duty games have not been appealing to me in years. It's just the same thing over and over again in terms of the multiplayer. Single player was the only thing I really enjoyed from COD since their multiplayer got boring for me. Definitely not purchasing this game.

"Citing an anonymous source with knowledge of the project’s status, Polygon writes that as Black Ops 4’s October release date drew closer, it became obvious that development on the single-player campaign wouldn’t be completed."

This statement alone should annoy people in and of itself. Just goes to show meeting a deadline is more important than delivering a great game to Activision.

As for the battle royale mode, I'm tired of the battle royale fad just as I was bored with the zombie fad that has seemed to have died down as of recently. COD is just jumping on the bandwagon for that now and it would be nice to see some more creativity, rather than using an existing game formula.

LOL...I never looked at it that way, but you're right.

Speaking of Unreal Tournament, I sure wish they'd come out with a new version. Man, that was a fun game.

Have you tried the new UT Pre-Alpha (or whatever stage it is at now)?
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament

While I've thoroughly enjoyed CoD multiplayer (except Infinite Warfare), I actually buy CoD games for the single player. Sure it borders on Michael Bay levels of chaos sometimes but that's what I liked about them. What really pains me is that the Black Ops series in particular has had the superior single player campaign. This will be very disappointing if it really does not have a single player.

I kind of felt we were already oversaturated with two battle royale games. I don't think we need any more? Not only that but with the battlefield in COD games being so small, can they really compete?

I kind of felt we were already oversaturated with two battle royale games. I don't think we need any more? Not only that but with the battlefield in COD games being so small, can they really compete?

I agree with you, but this is basically the new "zombies" these day. Remember when every company was trying to shove a new zombie game down our throats? Yeah, this is the next version of that. There's probably 10 more games out there that are basically clones of PUBG that are in development. It's pretty sad how they all jump on the bandwagon to replicate the same formula instead of coming up with something of their own that is creative.

I'll admit, PUBG is a reasonably fun game. It just gets old fast in my opinion. I have no real interest for another battle royale formula in a game. What I could use is a new Arma game that isn't a complete mess with a good wasteland experience.

I don't have any CoD games, but without a single player component this one will not be my first. MP will never be a selling point for me, for any game.

Since no one is trying to create any new jaw-dropping single-player content and they are focusing just on tactics how to generate more money using a new skin on the same engine each year, at least give us MW 2 campaign remastered for the good old times.
Also, NO buy from my side. Will go for Metro Exodus instead.

First they take away dedicated servers, co-op campaign (from WAW), and now the single player campaign. Thanks to all the fan boys and Chinese cheaters with endless disposal incomes for helping them make this decision.

I agree with you, but this is basically the new "zombies" these day. Remember when every company was trying to shove a new zombie game down our throats? Yeah, this is the next version of that. There's probably 10 more games out there that are basically clones of PUBG that are in development. It's pretty sad how they all jump on the bandwagon to replicate the same formula instead of coming up with something of their own that is creative.
Yeah, but I actually liked the zombies bandwagon. Mainly because it was arcade-like and I wasn't forced to play with anyone else.
Battle royale is the total opposite (played it, and I could care less about it as a gamer) lol

Back