Code 80070005

Lawman

My Windows 7 is trying to update by it's self. "windows can not check for new updates" and gets me to click try again and nothing works And error code is "80070005 how do I fix this.

Cheers
Lawman

The link posted by Zen leads to a good read with good, specific info.

Assuming you log on as Administrator, have already run malware scans (Anti-virus plus Malwarebytes or Spybot Search&Destroy, for example), that come up clean, let's do some basic housekeeping:

1. Run Windows System File Checker (SFC): Start> All Programs> Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt click Run As Administrator and type sfc /scannow , then press Enter. Let the utility run. Reboot.

2. Give this Microsoft FixIt a try, which is supposed to, "Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update. Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update, keeping your PC more secure and reliable.": http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/en-us
Reboot and try Updates again. If no luck, then:

3. Download and run Windows 7 Update Readiness Tool: Windows6.1-KB947821. There are 32bit and 64bit versions. Choose the right one for your system. This Tool takes a good while to run and has NO progress indicator. Let it finish. Reboot and try your updates again.

Keep us posted.

Back