Comcast is suing Vermont to get out of building 550 miles of new cable lines

William Gayde

Staff

Comcast has filed a lawsuit against the state of Vermont in an attempt to avoid building 550 miles of new cable lines. The Vermont Public Utility Commission granted Comcast an 11-year permit to operate in the state, but it appears that they are having second thoughts on some of the specific provisions. That permit states that Comcast shall construct no less than 550 miles of line extensions into "uncabled areas." It goes on to specify that any extension that Comcast builds as part of a federal or state grant will not qualify for this requirement.

Running new lines in remote areas is very expensive, so naturally Comcast would prefer not having to build them. The lawsuit alleges that Vermont is overstepping its authority granted in the Cable Act, violating state law, and violating Comcast's constitutional rights. Comcast is asking the court to declare Vermont's regulations unlawful and to prevent them from being enforced.

Comcast has requested the VPUC to reconsider the requirement in the past, but that motion was denied. Vermont is standing by their regulations since they claim Comcast was aware of them when they bought Adelphia and first entered the state. The VPUC also believes that this 550 mile expansion will not harm Comcast or impair their ability to earn a "fair and reasonable return on its investments."

In making the decision, the commission considered various factors including the cost of past cable line expansions, Comcast's current profitability, and Comcast's profitability when performing other line extensions in Vermont.

Permalink to story.

"Vermont is standing by their regulations since they claim Comcast was aware of them when they bought Adelphia and first entered the state. The VPUC also believes that this 550 mile expansion will not harm Comcast or impair their ability to earn a "fair and reasonable return on its investments."

CASE CLOSED. These scumbag telecoms really love helping themselves to our tax dollars and then giving nothing back. I hope after they lose the case their stupid enough to *still* break their agreement to build out their infrastructure. That should net Vermont enough funds to subsidize community cable across half the state.

"Vermont is standing by their regulations since they claim Comcast was aware of them when they bought Adelphia and first entered the state. The VPUC also believes that this 550 mile expansion will not harm Comcast or impair their ability to earn a "fair and reasonable return on its investments."

CASE CLOSED. These scumbag telecoms really love helping themselves to our tax dollars and then giving nothing back. I hope after they lose the case their stupid enough to *still* break their agreement to build out their infrastructure. That should net Vermont enough funds to subsidize community cable across half the state.

It would be great if Vermont won the case and than after Comcast completes adding the new cable lines, Vermont refuses to renew the permit once it expires. That would be halarious. :)

I hope Vermont win. Wouldn't it be great to see the Comcast bigwigs breaking their backs digging trenches, laying cables and planting poles.

Also, Vermont win and to get at Comcast really stick it to them when they try to trench parallel the utilities along the highways by not giving them the rights so that Comcast will have to contact all the land owners and get permission and pay to trench in their property.

Just do what Obama did and his ilk did. Just outright ignore any form of legality and shove it up their azz. Stack the courts with leftist constitution shredding judges. That's how you get your own way.

Just do what Obama did and his ilk did. Just outright ignore any form of legality and shove it up their azz. Stack the courts with leftist constitution shredding judges. That's how you get your own way.

What you described is literally what the republicans did to get Gorsuch in. When you have to change the rules just to get approval...

Oh the hypocrisy.

"Stack the courts with leftist constitution shredding judges"

Because interpreting a document made in the late 1700s exactly as it was during that time is such a good idea for modern society /s. I'm sure their horse and buggy rules will apply perfectly to the internet.

A contract is a contract, but it would be nice if they would publish the entire thing so we know exactly what was promised on both sides. Not making excuses for Comcast, they have the worst rated cable service of all of them, but if the state was sloppy with their contract language, they have nobody to blame but themselves .....

Adding additional line is critical to Vermont. It's an extremely rural state with no market incentive to invest in almost anywhere in the state. This deal made perfect sense: Comcast gets to get excessive profits (it's a natural monopoly) but in return they must reinvest some of this money in profit losing incentives.

What comcast did was buy the local ISP, sign the contract as required, and now don't want to deal with the cost of the contract. They just want the excessive profits of being a natural monopoly.

It doesn't work that way. I'm glad Vermont isn't backing down.

As Comcast is already, "the most hated company in America", what they seem to be doing here, is trying to see by how much of a margin, they can out distance the, "second most hated company in America", by sheer numbers of people outraged and completely offended.

And remember kidz, "X-Finity" is still the lecherous Comcast, be watchful for its next metamorphosis in name only. (Which BTW, I believe they can write off on their taxes)!

Last edited:

What you described is literally what the republicans did to get Gorsuch in. When you have to change the rules just to get approval...

Oh the hypocrisy.

"Stack the courts with leftist constitution shredding judges"

Because interpreting a document made in the late 1700s exactly as it was during that time is such a good idea for modern society /s. I'm sure their horse and buggy rules will apply perfectly to the internet.
What you have to understand here is that Republicans have to cling to rules/laws from "the good old days" in order to hold onto any kind of power. The Electoral College is the perfect example of this; if every vote counted then no Republican would ever be elected to the White House again.

What you have to understand here is that Republicans have to cling to rules/laws from "the good old days" in order to hold onto any kind of power. The Electoral College is the perfect example of this; if every vote counted then no Republican would ever be elected to the White House again.
And that's good only if you want Democrats pumping as many dollars of your taxes as they possibly can, into the ghetto, to breed themselves more Democratic voters.

I can see by your reference to the Electoral College, you're still crying us a river about Hillary losing the election.

And that's good only if you want Democrats pumping as many dollars of your taxes as they possibly can, into the ghetto, to breed themselves more Democratic voters.

I can see by your reference to the Electoral College, you're still crying us a river about Hillary losing the election.

Very few people actually had any love for Hillary. The only reason Hillary got as much support as she did is because it was either a massively incompetent money and female grubbing, racist, bankruptcy king clown vs a typical politician. I could go on about Trump but his history of lawsuits and previous dealings prove themselves.

FYI, nearly every poll or research piece shows that a majority of democratic voters are of higher education or monetary statues that republican. You're thinking of the republican voter base, which is comprised of the super rich and those with a high school education or less.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

The numbers very clearly show that stupidity is attracted to Trump. This is just one take on the data, you can find the same base numbers anywhere. This information have been available since election day after the votes came in.

...[ ]...The numbers very clearly show that stupidity is attracted to Trump. This is just one take on the data, you can find the same base numbers anywhere. This information have been available since election day after the votes came in.
The only reason I responded to that massively of topic post, was basically to inform its originator, that a 'one party system' is tantamount to being a dictatorship or monarchy.

I actually do really well on IQ tests, so why don't you save all your crap about stupidity for somebody who actually is. I'm smart enough to know this, despite all the liberal bullsh!t both you and wiyosaya constantly spout, if either one of you found yourselves out of your ivory towers, and in the middle of Spanish Harlem, it would be quite a contest to see who got their car's windows rolled up, doors locked, and the hell out of there the fastest..:D

The only reason I responded to that massively of topic post, was basically to inform its originator, that a 'one party system' is tantamount to being a dictatorship or monarchy.

I actually do really well on IQ tests, so why don't you save all your crap about stupidity for somebody who actually is. I'm smart enough to know this, despite all the liberal bullsh!t both you and wiyosaya constantly spout, if either one of you found yourselves out of your ivory towers, and in the middle of Spanish Harlem, it would be quite a contest to see who got their car's windows rolled up, doors locked, and the hell out of there the fastest..:D

Why do you always assume that my comments are a personal attack at you? Your own words are speaking more than anything I've said.

Last edited:
Very few people actually had any love for Hillary. The only reason Hillary got as much support as she did is because it was either a massively incompetent money and female grubbing, racist, bankruptcy king clown vs a typical politician. I could go on about Trump but his history of lawsuits and previous dealings prove themselves.

FYI, nearly every poll or research piece shows that a majority of democratic voters are of higher education or monetary statues that republican. You're thinking of the republican voter base, which is comprised of the super rich and those with a high school education or less.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

The numbers very clearly show that stupidity is attracted to Trump. This is just one take on the data, you can find the same base numbers anywhere. This information have been available since election day after the votes came in.
You know for once, I'm not responsible for taking this thread into political territory.

In all honesty, I didn't believe a lot of what Trump said during his candidacy, the bizarre promises and bluster, were anything more than sound bytes engineered to draw attention to his candidacy.

Now, statistics can be made to say whatever you want to hear. Accordingly, I didn't see any point in following your links about Democrats being smarter than Republicans. Or for that matter, listening to your crap about what I know to be untrue. Our inners cities are chock full of stupid, and that stupid, routinely votes Democratic, as a block. In fact Hillary Clinton was pulling 70% of that vote. So, why wouldn't you think that stupid was attracted to Clinton, in the same sense small town ';stupid' was attracted to Trump.

I'll tell you why, because it would be inconvenient to your asinine narrative, that's why.

If you want to believe that Barack Obama wasn't elected by 90% of blacks voting for him, and that's indicative of racism, keep telling yourself that. And while you're at it, climb back into your ivory tower, stuff your head back up your butt, and we'll pretend this discussion never happened.

Americans never vote for anybody, they vote against the other guy. It's why those negative ads, (which everybody pretends to be offended by), work so damned well.

Trump is a four year president, if that. Might as well get used to it, you only have at most, 3 years and three months left to suffer through it.

Last edited:
You know for once, I'm not responsible for taking this thread into political territory.

In all honesty, I didn't believe a lot of what Trump said during his candidacy, the bizarre promises and bluster, were anything more than sound bytes engineered to draw attention to his candidacy.

Now, statistics can be made to say whatever you want to hear. Accordingly, I didn't see any point in following your links about Democrats being smarter than Republicans. Or for that matter, listening to your crap about what I know to be untrue. Our inners cities are chock full of stupid, and that stupid, routinely votes Democratic, as a block. In fact Hillary Clinton was pulling 70% of that vote. So, why wouldn't you think that stupid was attracted to Clinton, in the same sense small town ';stupid' was attracted to Trump.

I'll tell you why, because it would be inconvenient to your asinine narrative, that's why.

If you want to believe that Barack Obama wasn't elected by 90% of blacks voting for him, and that's indicative of racism, keep telling yourself that. And while you're at it, climb back into your ivory tower, stuff your head back up your butt, and we'll pretend this discussion never happened.

Americans never vote for anybody, they vote against the other guy. It's why those negative ads, (which everybody pretends to be offended by), work so damned well.

Trump is a four year president, if that. Might as well get used to it, you only have at most, 3 years and three months left to suffer through it.

"Now, statistics can be made to say whatever you want to hear"

And that's why we check sources and provide multiple sources of data.

"f you want to believe that Barack Obama wasn't elected by 90% of blacks voting for him,"

I doubt you can back those claims up with anything credible.

"Americans never vote for anybody, they vote against the other guy. It's why those negative ads, (which everybody pretends to be offended by), work so damned well."

This trend started mostly just the recent 16 years. There used to be a time when people actually liked the candidates that ran. Now though? Just getting to a position to be able to run for president requires you to go through a system perverted to corrupt nearly anyone. That's part of the reason people liked Trump. Unfortunately he is the worst example of a good businessman that can do good for the country. At best he is an example of a new class of robber barron.

"Our inners cities are chock full of stupid, and that stupid, routinely votes Democratic, as a block."

See, this is where you are projecting your own held belief of the word "stupid" and it by no means corresponds to any metric shared in any professional capacity. Unless you are going to sit here and tell me higher education doesn't equate to higher intelligence, you are merely obfuscating the argument by trying to redefine the word. There hasn't been a credible study that doesn't show that intellect is directly linked to education, whether through schooling or self taught.

"Now, statistics can be made to say whatever you want to hear"

And that's why we check sources and provide multiple sources of data.

"f you want to believe that Barack Obama wasn't elected by 90% of blacks voting for him,"

I doubt you can back those claims up with anything credible.

"Americans never vote for anybody, they vote against the other guy. It's why those negative ads, (which everybody pretends to be offended by), work so damned well."

This trend started mostly just the recent 16 years. There used to be a time when people actually liked the candidates that ran. Now though? Just getting to a position to be able to run for president requires you to go through a system perverted to corrupt nearly anyone. That's part of the reason people liked Trump. Unfortunately he is the worst example of a good businessman that can do good for the country. At best he is an example of a new class of robber barron.

"Our inners cities are chock full of stupid, and that stupid, routinely votes Democratic, as a block."

See, this is where you are projecting your own held belief of the word "stupid" and it by no means corresponds to any metric shared in any professional capacity. Unless you are going to sit here and tell me higher education doesn't equate to higher intelligence, you are merely obfuscating the argument by trying to redefine the word. There hasn't been a credible study that doesn't show that intellect is directly linked to education, whether through schooling or self taught.[/QUOTE]I have no idea WTF you're talking about, and neither do you.

Here are the results from the Roper Institute @ Cornell University saying who voted for who in the 2012 presidential election. https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

If you think their tally is wrong, then go f**king argue with them.

In the meantime, try and wrap you head around this, "higher education", is very often "specialized education". So, it doesn't necessarily create individuals who are more intelligent overall, just people who are smart in their chosen field.

Legend has it that Albert Einstein could barely tie his shoes, but in theoretical physics, nobody could touch him..

And please don't make me try and interpret any more of your obnoxious sh!tposts, where you have what I said outside of quotes, and all mixed in with your bullsh!t

CODA: You'd think all this higher education you've been blabbering about, would enable you to do a simple, point by point, response, with the point you're trying to dispute, inside a quote box, with your answer outside, and directly underneath.

That simply isn't the case, since you don't seen to be able to manage it.

Last edited:
Comcast is all about charging you for a service, but not wanting to follow through with what they say they are giving you. This doesn't surprise me that they don't want anything to do with providing an entire state with internet and home entertainment, but are more then happy to charge you more for your home services when you want nothing to do with "leasing" their proprietary equipment, to broaden their "free" wifi marketability. Don't much care for them as a company, as they don't seem to realyl care to take care of their customers, or their employees, otherwise they wouldn't have to sub-contract so much work.

...[ ]...The numbers very clearly show that stupidity is attracted to Trump. This is just one take on the data, you can find the same base numbers anywhere. This information have been available since election day after the votes came in.

Thanks again for showing us your racist anger, Crank.

Comcast is all about charging you for a service, but not wanting to follow through with what they say they are giving you. This doesn't surprise me that they don't want anything to do with providing an entire state with internet and home entertainment, but are more then happy to charge you more for your home services when you want nothing to do with "leasing" their proprietary equipment, to broaden their "free" wifi marketability. Don't much care for them as a company, as they don't seem to realyl care to take care of their customers, or their employees, otherwise they wouldn't have to sub-contract so much work.
And if they are anything like TW/Spectrum, they are more than happy to ask you "would you like to buy more of our crap services" when you are on the phone complaining to them. Their day is coming...except in areas where politics is mandating that more taxes be poured into these undeserving companies where intelligent, business-loving politicians have made it illegal for companies that were running inexpensive services over wires paid for by taxpayers to provide low-cost internet for the population.

Why do you always assume that my comments are a personal attack at you? Your own words are speaking more than anything I've said.
Crank likes to take everything personally - so much so that he blames his neighbors for all his problems. Personally, I think it is quite sad.

Last edited:
Back