Comcast to launch 4K-capable set-top box this year, another enabling HDR in 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

comcast set-top box 4k 4k tv 4k cable box

The price of 4K ultra high-definition (UHD) televisions has come down significantly over the past year or so but even still, many are finding it hard to justify purchasing a 4K set due to the simple fact that there isn’t much UHD content available yet.

Comcast already streams a selection of 4K content to some Samsung televisions through its Xfinity in UHD app. Later this year, the cable provider will be expanding the reach of its catalog with its first 4K-enabled set-top box.

The Xi4 will serve as the latest addition to Comcast’s Xfinity X1 platform. In its press release, the company said customers will be able to enjoy unlimited virtual 4K linear channels by creating personalized playlists from the Xfinity in UHD library.

comcast set-top box 4k 4k tv 4k cable box

Essentially, what this means is that Xi4 box users will be able to access the content that Samsung TV owners already get through the Xfinity in UHD app and arrange it in a playlist so it feels like a real channel. Comcast said it will add hundreds of titles to its catalog, many of which will be content originally screened in IMAX theaters (I.e., lots of documentaries). It’s certainly a step in the right direction but it doesn’t mean live 4K content is coming anytime soon.

Only a handful of outfits are providing 4K content and none of them are broadcast networks. In the meantime, we can turn to sources like Amazon and Netflix that provide some of their original content in UHD.

The latest buzzword surrounding television is HDR, or high dynamic range, and Comcast is already jumping on that bandwagon, too. The provider said it plans to launch a new HDR-enabled set-top box known as the Xi5 sometime in 2016 that'll provide increased color, contrast and brightness.

Lead image via The Verge

Permalink to story.

Until there's content that people actually want to watch (not documentaries), then there's no point. You'll pay extra for a box which will provide 4k viewing which you'll only use for 3 minutes to show off for friends.

Until there's content that people actually want to watch (not documentaries), then there's no point. You'll pay extra for a box which will provide 4k viewing which you'll only use for 3 minutes to show off for friends.
You would hate documentaries

Until there's content that people actually want to watch (not documentaries), then there's no point.

Unless there are people who want to watch documentaries. Then there is a point.

Comcast will just find a way to add this to the bundle and charge $30 a month after the first 12 months. Comcast will make their money off of this (I hate them).

You would hate documentaries

I don't hate documentaries, in fact watch them all the time on the National Geographic, History and AHC channels. But I'm not going to invest in a new 4k TV, then pay for a box and added expenses to watch them.

I don't hate documentaries, in fact watch them all the time on the National Geographic, History and AHC channels. But I'm not going to invest in a new 4k TV, then pay for a box and added expenses to watch them.

well that's great because I don't know of a 4k TV that doesn't come with access to you tube, hulu and Netflix, the only real sources of 4k content out there.

But, honestly, History and AHC? I hate to inform you, but what you've been watching can hardly be called a documentary

Still not enough content.

Most networks still only broadcast 720p/1080i and only a few doing 1080p.

I'll stick to my 1080p plasma.

If the content situation changes in the next 2-3 years maybe I'll reconsider until then no thanks.

Dish Network has been developing a 4k Joey for the Hopper system for a time now. As there is not even 1080p content out there other than OTA, 4k will take some time to get it to run native with the current infrastructure.

When the heck are they coming out with that 1gbps with "unlimited" data cap. I'm willing to give them a chance once I see what that's all about

Back