Comp boots for about 1 min then BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

When i start up this computer it will seem to load windows fine and everything seems to be going smooth then about 1 minute later i'll get the BSOD. I started in safe mode and canceled all startup programs that weren't necessary and tried to boot again, same problem.
On the BSOD i get this error code
0x0000008e
(0xc0000005, 0xb2757b75, 0xb1ac47ec, 0x00000000)

Any help please?

0x8E errors are caused by hardware issues. I've had the same experience and I came to find out it was corrupted memory. So...

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download their latest ISO version and burn to a CD. It is a free utility. Since your system reboots so quickly borrow a friend's PC.

2. Place CD in drive and reboot. The test will take over.

3. Let the test run for a minimum of 7 Passes (8 individual tests per Pass). This takes a long time but well worth it. Many people start it before going to bed and check it the next morning. It is completely safe.

4. If you have any errors you have corrupted memory that must be replaced. Also, with errors run the test per stick of RAM (remove one and run the test; switch) to determine how many sticks are bad.

* Get back to us with the results.

I have 2 sticks of identicle 512mb ram in there so ill try to take 1 out boot it just using the 1, see what it does and then swap and try to other stick alone. Hopefully it's just one of the sticks and i can single out the problem that way, if it doesn't work ill try to run the memtest. Thanks route

Well i just tried to boot with taking out 1 stick got the BSOD, swapped the sticks and got the BSOD. Then i tried completely diff ram that is compatible with the system (was the original ram with the system) and got the BSOD. So i dont really think its ram at this point. What else could it be?

Did you run memtest as instructed?
yes 19 passes no errors and as i said i tried other ram also and had same error so its not ram. is there any bootable discs i can download like that one to check for hard drives? i have 2 drives in the comp

Well, your harddrive manufacturer does provide a free utility to diagnose harddrives. The thing is even with it being burned to a CD or loaded onto a floppy if I'm not mistaking you need to be at your desktop screen to have it work.

I'm wondering if it might not be your motherboard.

Also, what make and model is your PSU? What is it rated for, i.e. wattage?

Well, your harddrive manufacturer does provide a free utility to diagnose harddrives. The thing is even with it being burned to a CD or loaded onto a floppy if I'm not mistaking you need to be at your desktop screen to have it work.

I'm wondering if it might not be your motherboard.

Also, what make and model is your PSU? What is it rated for, i.e. wattage?
I find it strange that it will boot all the way to the desktop and sit there for a minute THEN get a BSOD. Seems like a software thing to me but i know nothing about those error codes.
The psu is from dell model #: NPS-250KB F 250watt.

I find it strange that it will boot all the way to the desktop and sit there for a minute THEN get a BSOD. Seems like a software thing to me but i know nothing about those error codes.
The psu is from dell model #: NPS-250KB F 250watt.

Hello Reckoning,
Sometimes adding hardware or downloading and installing a file [etc,] can cause exactly what has happened to you.

You stated the bios does post your HDD. If you are using WINXP, and If you haven't solved you bsod issue, try this:

If you have a Windows start up disk insert and boot to it. I beleive you may even use a Win 98 SU disk. Once it loads type the word "Help".You can scroll the list of commands with the "Enter" key. Look for CHKDSK. Then type CHKDSK. Once CHKDSK completes, reboot to your HDD and your problems should be over.

You can do the same procedure by booting to your Windows installation cd, Hit "F!" immediately once Windows loads, repeat the same procedure by typing Help.
Once you resolve this problem, open Device Manager and make sure there are no exclamation or question marks present. Good luck.

xerras, i believe you can just open up cmd and chkdsk.exe am i correct? either way ill try to run the chkdsk in the next 2 days, busy lately. thanks for all the help so far
Hello Reckoning,
Sometimes adding hardware or downloading and installing a file [etc,] can cause exactly what has happened to you.

You stated the bios does post your HDD. If you are using WINXP, and If you haven't solved you bsod issue, try this:

If you have a Windows start up disk insert and boot to it. I beleive you may even use a Win 98 SU disk. Once it loads type the word "Help".You can scroll the list of commands with the "Enter" key. Look for CHKDSK. Then type CHKDSK. Once CHKDSK completes, reboot to your HDD and your problems should be over.

You can do the same procedure by booting to your Windows installation cd, Hit "F!" immediately once Windows loads, repeat the same procedure by typing Help.
Once you resolve this problem, open Device Manager and make sure there are no exclamation or question marks present. Good luck.

Chksdk

xerras, i believe you can just open up cmd and chkdsk.exe am i correct? either way ill try to run the chkdsk in the next 2 days, busy lately. thanks for all the help so far

I forget, since it has been sometime since I did that.
I did not include a fdd in my present computer so I can't check for you. But the elusive chkdsk is on the winxp cd.
I also seem to remember the correct command is "chkdsk /f". Winxp will be prompt you should you enter an incorrect command.
After chkdsk does it's thing, if all goes well, reboot and after winxp's splash screen initiates [scrolling progress indicator] a light blue screen appears and the hdd is automatically checked. Don't do anything.....when it finishes checking winxp will load.
Clean up and defrag your hdd, reboot and you should be good to go.
If you want to clean your registry CCleaner is a free registry utility.

An 8E error can be caused by infection as well. My suggestion would be to make a post in the Malware thread after you follow the "8 steps" posted there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back