Compaq or Dell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeds1

first im sry i didnt know where to post this but my question is im gonna buy a used computer in a couple weeks.one is a compaq and the other is a dell so i was wondering what would be the better pick as far as the name brand i dont have the info on them yet.

i know the compaq has a amd processer not sure what the dell has but if anyone could tellme why a dell over a compaq i would be very thankfull

The real reason is Compaq is HP, and I believe the way HP set up their computers (you know stacks of startups, and HP software taking over absolutely everything in Windows)
Where-as Dell aren't as intrusive, and their support is way better

ok guys heres the deal.the dell got bought so its a hp or nothing.ill give you a lil info on it so you can tell me if i can watch hd movies on it.its an hp,dc5700mt. and it looks new inside and out but i can remember what ghz it is ill find out tommorow so just tell me if you think its worth 150 if im willing to put a new graphics card in it and a dvd burner.oh one more thing,how many ghz does it have to be to be able to watch hd movies?

tells me everything but the one thing i need to know which is the ghz lol o well ill find out tommorow thanks for your help

thanks for the prog but i dont have that computer yet im gonna find out tommorow that it is atleast 2.0 ghz and not a bit less.oh ya is there a test site or prog that will tell you what kind of memory your computer needs?

thanks alot for all your help.i went to get some info on the computer and the guy thought it was 1.4 ghz i guess thats why he was givin it to me for 150 but i got through the passworded accounts and found that it is 3.26 so shouldnt it be worth 150 with that speed and looks new inside and out?

oh by the way i want to put this hard drive in it because this one is 160gb any idea how i would do that being there is no recovery disk?

thanks for the help.so your saying all i need when i put this hd into the other computer is xp cd?ok im downloading norton ghost never used it before but i dont have a dvd burner so can i back up on a cd-r just the things i need to work?

You can image your entire old HardDrive to the new HardDrive
You will need to spend a fair amount of time on this, because many users have wiped their entire drive imaging the wrong way around.

Yes I feel you will need a Windows CD too (Ghost is a pay for one)

Due to different drivers and chipset on another computer
If you just swap the HardDrive Windows will consistantly restart
To fix this issue, you must Repair Windows (you will also need the Windows key)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Vista Repair:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

thanks alot thats really helpfull.just one more questio when i change drives do i need to partion it or erase whatever its called and if so how?

You only remove the Partition (or format) if you want to load a fresh install of Windows (ie everything originally on the disk will be lost)

Using the Windows CD you can remove the Partition to do this
There is a prompt asking you if you wish to remove the current Partition or not, during the install

ok thanks alot for your help hopefull in a couple weeks when i get the computer this will work out thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back