Compaq Presario won't reformat

dg1267

I'm trying to reformat my mom's old Compaq Presario SR1303WM. I've set it to boot from the cd-rom and I almost had it. But after deleting the partitions and starting a clean install it would only load the programs to 20%. After that it locked up and wouldn't do anything. I had to shut down and restart.

Now, it won't load from anything. Of course the old OS is gone so it won't start up on the hard drive and it won't boot from the cd. It just keeps going to a black screen with "Error Loading Operating System". Can someone please help me. I know they can't get a new computer and I just want to get a new install on this one to speed it up for them. They had a ton of malware and such on it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Since HP now owns Compaq, I am not sure what kind of cds you have in order to attempt recovery.
Per HP Support
HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. A system recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. Your computer may contain Recovery Disc Creation software. Recovery discs for Windows XP are available from HP for a minimal cost. See Obtaining Recovery Discs for ordering information.

What kind of disk are you using to attempt restore, and are you using HP's support page?
Are you still set to boot from CD and to attempt to do so FIRST?
Is your BIOS properly identifying your hard drive?
What happens if you unplug the data cable from the hd before trying to boot to cd?
Do you have the "Recovery Console" option at some point during boot?

Sorry I didn't catch this early bookwyrm, and thanks for your feedback/questions to help. But I think I've talked them into getting a new computer. You know, something that isn't 8 years old. Might even slide them into something as cozy as 5 years old. LOL

Okay...
Rather than simply send the old computer to a landfill though
why not consider refurbishing and donating to a 501c3?
Even old computers can still be used as workstations for basic tasks, from education (learning keyboarding, or various educational programs) to productivity (Word Processing, Accounting, etc).
Just a thought.

I never toss old computers. I always find another outlet. But thanks for doing the same and passing the message along to others.

Back