Comparison video proves The Boring Company's 'Not A Flamethrower' isn't a flamethrower

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: We've known for some time now that Elon Musk's "flamethrower" isn't a true flamethrower (It's called Not A Flamethrower, after all) but to get a real sense of just how much of a novelty item it is, you need to see it perform alongside some true flamethrowers.

The Boring Company, the tunnel construction outfit Elon Musk founded in 2016, launched a unique fundraising campaign earlier this year in which it sold “flamethrowers” at $500 a pop. Legally dubbed Not A Flamethrower (and technically, it’s not – it’s just a roofing torch with an air rifle cover), Musk managed to sell 20,000 copies in less than four days, resulting in a quick $10 million.

To prove just how much of a flamethrower it isn’t, DriveTanks.com earlier this month took the device out along with some proper flamethrowers to create a comparison video. As you’ll see, The Boring Company’s gadget truly is a novelty in terms of performance compared to the real deal.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I take it a lot of people don't really know how a flamethrower works. Propane or MAPP gas (variant of propane) doesnt make for a good flamethrower. You may as well buy a $15 torch nozzle as that thing looked pretty pathetic... .let alone how much they want to charge for it. A 14 oz cylinder and nozzle might cost you $50 to $100 bucks depending on which torch nozzle you decide to go with. This thing really costs $500 bucks?

Musk managed to sell 20,000 copies in less than four days, resulting in a quick $10 million.
WTF SHEEPLE? LOL

Yeah, it's a cool looking torch. As advertised.

Thinking about all the people (and more specifically politicians) fearing this as a flamethrower still amuses me.

Yeah, it's a cool looking torch. As advertised.

Thinking about all the people (and more specifically politicians) fearing this as a flamethrower still amuses me.

These are probably the same people referring to intermediate cartridge non-selective fire semi-automatic rifles as "assault rifles."

I take it a lot of people don't really know how a flamethrower works. Propane or MAPP gas (variant of propane) doesnt make for a good flamethrower. You may as well buy a $15 torch nozzle as that thing looked pretty pathetic... .let alone how much they want to charge for it. A 14 oz cylinder and nozzle might cost you $50 to $100 bucks depending on which torch nozzle you decide to go with. This thing really costs $500 bucks?

Musk managed to sell 20,000 copies in less than four days, resulting in a quick $10 million.
WTF SHEEPLE? LOL

Looks cool but if you are looking for a device with a purpose you wouldn't be shelling out for that POS. Just a brand name and a gimmick, a toy not to be used for actual applicable scenarios.

WTF SHEEPLE? LOL
I'd like to think that Musk was trolling everyone, including Congress, with this. " I'm going to make a large torch and name it Not a Flamethrower and these *****s will think it's a flamethrower and lose their minds while making me rich!"

Smart move actually.
Edit: Techspot bleeped the word iD10Ts... lol?

Back