Computer being slow after format..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolga

Hi,

My computer is being slow even when i formatted the whole drive. Games slow, apps load slow. It sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.
I formatted it because it was slow, but now it's virtually the same.. :S

Any Suggestions?

My system specs are..

Operating System - WindowsXP Pro SP2
Processor - Intel Pentium 4, 3219 MHz (16 x 201)
BIOS Type - AMI (10/20/04)
Video Card - Radeon X850
System Memory - 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Hard Drives - C: 160GB D: 30GB E: 80GB
Internet Connection - NTL Cable 2MB

your system has huge memory (2gb) and quite fast pentium 4 processor. The only possible answer is your HDD speed, cable, other hardware and of course yourself. btw what is your mobo?

If your harddisk is IDE and somehow the wires are vice versa, it become slow. try to use only 1main HDD and see how it works.

Defrag Drives, Cleanup, remove temporary internet files, Bootvis also could speed up abit your system. btw is there any antivirus running? usually some av software has a so called dynamic library scan or scheduled scan. sometimes they scan quietly without notice and of course it slows down your whole PC.

I have no idea what my mobo is..

I have NOD32 Anti virus. but it started doing all this when it first booted up when i formatted. nothing was installed then :s

Download your latest driver set for your pc etc.
Check whats causing the slowness. Common things are:
-HDD primary driver (in Device manager) set to PIO mode
-BIOS incorrectly set up > Use optimum setting if available or manually tweak it if you know what you're doing (happened to me a couple of times)
-background processes too much?

Is it home built? (I will assume yes due to the 2GB RAM on a P4). Have you done any "upgrades" that have slowed down your computer. If you can you should strip to bare components (Mobo 1 stick of RAM processor and your smallest HDD) from there see if you can get it running smoothly and add components 1 at a time to see if any are causing the problem.

Also, your RAM could be damaged and not working fully or even at all and so it is important to add RAM carefully because if it is a hardware problem then it is most likely that RAM is the cause.

cfitzarl said:
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-138.zip

After download, open up the file and select "CPUZ.exe", and then open the mainboard section and it should list your motherboard there.

When I opened it I got this (attached screenshot)

My ram is ok, ive already tried one by one, tried on system for a day or 2, ive checked both with memory tests. all came clean...

I think it's my mother board I don't really know, I'm going to buy a new one soon.

Attachments

• htyhtyjtyj.JPG
    htyhtyjtyj.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 14
from that pic it probably is from your mobo.. there's definitely something wrong here.

if you can find out any sort of info from the mobo by visual means, then maybe try a BIOS update as well as finding a driver set for it..

But i reckon if its still under warranty get it RMA'd and see if you can get a replacement one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back