Computer components crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff_emt_2

Ok, I'm ready to pull my hair out and scream...My desktop began quite some time ago with internet connection issues and I was able to correct them for the most part. Chalked the rest up to dial up service. Then about a week ago it froze while I was online. Upon shutting down and restarting only safe mode would work. After several days of running diagnostics and coming up empty I disabled the modem and everything went back to normal. I should probably note that I blew the external speakers around the same time for some unknown reason. Got new speakers and modem today and installed everything. Noticed feedback in the speakers and was trying to figure that out as well as test the internet when started smelling something like melting wires. I shut down the system and checked the tower but found nothing. Turned back on the system and found that the speakers no longer work. I tried them on my portable CD player and got no sound. Once again back toall the troubleshooters and diagnostics with no answers to be found. Any idea what gives? Could it just be a coincedence of bad speakers new out of the box? Could there be an underlying problem that I'm missing? Somebody PLEASE HELP

What diagnostics did you run? With your limited information sounds like you've got a bad power supply or (less likely) bad motherboard. Is your sound onboard or a PCI card? Are these externally powered speakers or are you driving them directly from your sound card or a port on your comp (some older HPs had an amp in the computer for speakers).

indeed

:giddy: Please do state if you are running on a sound card or direct connect. If you have a sound blaster card, sometimes if you do not have the latest drivers your sound will go bye bye upon restart. I had a similar problem with my Audigy 2. That and in my control panel>sound and audio, it had repeatedly set my speaker setup to desktop speakers instead of 7.1 setup. Make sure all your drivers are up to date.

I used the help & support and also the PC Doctor programs installed on the computer. I just replaced the power supply with in the last year. Currently running an Antec 480 watt Neopower ATX12V v2.0. Sound is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with external speakers plugged into speaker jack on back of tower.

"Sound is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with external speakers plugged into speaker jack on back of tower"

Are the speakers powered? Powered means that they have a wire that goes to a wall plug

I'm concerned with this burning smell he got.

Its highly unlikely speakers created that. Do you think you'd be able to sniff around and figure out if it came from the speakers or something inside your computer box.

Yeah,
any burning smell near a computer is bad news. I could be an exploded capacitor on the motherboard, or a toasted PCI card. While the computer may still work, it won't be long until it fails for good

The speakers are powered (or I should WERE) they do nothing now! I tried to pinpoint the smell originally but could only narrow it down to the area of the computer. Since I disconnected the speakers I haven't gotten the smell again. At this point ( since we're discussing the CPU ) I should probably also mention the computer's ability to change it's own settings @ will ( favorites list, history, etc.). Maybe it's possessed :) Should I call an exorcist?

On top of everything else, you may be infected with a virus and spyware. Both these seem to infect together these days

Try another set of speakers, but before you connect them to the computer try them on something else. If they work good, then connect to computer, if they blow up you have something seriously wrong with your motherboard.

Out of pure curiosity, I changed the power supply for the speakers and they work on my laptop (sound terrible, but work) so I plugged them back into the surge protector and the desktop and guess what...they work

ff_emt_2,
good going with the speakers, but you are not out of the woods yet. Back up your important data and save your pennys for a system repair, or another system in the not so distant future

I think it may be time for a new system. last night the screen saver failed then started working angain a couple of hours later with no intervention. I deleted an old internet provider and now the internet won't stay connected. When I tested the modem the system says it failed the simple line test. It's three days installed...not to mention it's the 3rd modem in 2 or 3 years.

Everybody has thoughts on them, its splattered all over the CPU forum.

You get what you pay for is what it amounts to.

It's not just the CPU that accounts for performance. The motherboard has a lot to do with this too. I recently upgraded my system from an old Athlon XP to an Intel Celeron 64bit 2.8GHz system on a MSI motherboard noted below. This system is a screamer in speed and overall performance from my old motherboard and it's Athlon CPU... It's not the best nor the fastest system, but it did give me the most bang for my buck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back