Computer crashes, fans continue running

Hello!

So I registered on this forum because I am, frankly, at a total loss as to what could be causing this.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD65
Video Card: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 5750
RAM: Corsair XMS 8 gigs
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970 Deneb Black Edition 3.5 Ghz
PSU: Antec 1000W PSU
Case: Antec 1200

What happens is that while playing a video game the display and sound will randomly cut out, though the fans and LEDs keep running. The only way to stop them is by turning off power to the PSU since the power and restart switches no longer work (I assume because the MoBo isn't getting power).

At first I assumed this was a heat issue (despite my stupidly high # of case fans) and bought a very nice heat sink. HWMonitor now says my computer idles around 28C and never gets above 45C, even during a heavy load so I think I've ruled that out.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard or the PSU, but in the interest of saving a few hundred dollars, I thought I would see what y'all think ^^

Does the display or audio cut out while doing any other functions? Are you using onboard audio?

It's only ever done it while gaming. New Vegas, Bad Company, even WoW.

I don't have an audio card or anything, so yup :)

I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Try this fix:
remove temp files
disable background programs and services
fix registry errors
this may help you to fix the problem...!

Back