Computer doesn't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is the problem we been having. It seems that we have problems with our breakers going on and off constanlty but this time it really affected our pc. Our stupid landlord didn't pay the electric bill so our power was shut off durring the night. once it was back on we tried starting our computer back on an guess what nothing happened.

So i checked things out. first i checked the reset switch and we bought a new one of those, new power cord for the power supply, nope that wasn't it.

There are two color light bulbs by the reset switch the green one comes on when the computer is working. its not turning on and the yellow remains on tho so i figured its still getting power but maybe not from the power supply but from the battery since its a pretty big battery. But the fan isn't running, neither are the drives and other things so i think it is in the power supply. Do you think it might be the mobo tho? This computer is only two years old and it has a celleron proccessor and so i was also wondering could it be the processor too?

So here is the questions, what do i replace first? The power supply , proccessor, ram, mobo or just buy a new comp?

Just to let you know yes its plugged in and its turned on and the monitor is turned on also.

First thing you should buy is a battery backup. Computers are very senstive to electrical problems, using a battery backup and a good quality powersupply will save you possibly thousands of dollars.

Most of these issues I've run into have a sort of chain reaction effect on the destruction of the PC. In all likelyhood, your powersupply is fried. If it was a good quality powersupply then that should be the extent of the damage, however if it didn't fail correctly then your motherboard could also be damaged. Depending on the quality of your motherboard, any various components of you PC could also then be damaged.

So giving that I understand your situation correctly, I'd first buy a battery backup (I prefer APC but Belkins are decent), then I'd buy a Powersupply (not a cheapo 350w Powmax, look for a good name like Enermax, Antec, Fortron, OCZ, or Seasonic) then see if your PC will start up. If its a no go then you need to replace the motherboard (at which point a system upgrade becomes an entertaining idea).

If at all possible try testing the components of your PC in another working computer so that you can devise what's good and what isn't.

But regardless, get a Battery backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back