Computer Flickering on and off

I built a custom pc about a year ago and every so often when I went to turn it on it would flicker on and off once or twice before actually booting. When I woke up this morning I tried powering it on and it did that about ten times before I eventually shut it off. (Meaning all the lights/fans would come on for about a second before turning off.) My pc will actually boot every so often after about 5-10 cycles of it flickering on and off, and can load the OS and get to my desktop, but will quickly BSOD, the two I've seen are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. My pc did a system update last night and I'd like to blame it on that, but the flickering problem has always sort of been there. I'm not even sure where to start looking on this one.

Likely problem with power supply - unable to provide 'power good' signal.

Reconnecting all connectors including power from house might help a bit. You will know if you can borrow a known good PSU & try it.

Please check your total system electrical requirement and make sure you have 100 watts of room (at least) on your replacement PSU (& single 12v rail). NewEgg and MSI have power supply calculators.

I tried reconnecting everything, and using a different outlet, although it didn't seem to change anything. I don't have another psu that I can use, I might try testing the psu with a multimeter, if I can figure out how, lol.

I do not think multi meter really can help a "power good" issue - so I keep at least one spare PSU on shelf all the time.

I should add that if you added equipment, accessories, chargers, etc a little before the problem 1st appeared, you may be exceeding the power capacity of your PSU. Removing any 'extra' stuff might help.

Back