Computer ***** Freaking here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I'll be the first to tell you that I have no idea what I'm talking about, but here goes.

I dropped my laptop a couple of weeks ago (the strap of my backpack broke) and it landed on the wireless card I had sticking out (yes, I KNOW I should ALWAYS take it out before walking around with it, but this is the ONE time I didn't and see what happened?)

Anyway, so I no longer had wireless access, I had to plug directly into the thingie that the other computers were plugged into so that we could all have internet at the same time.

So, my husband took my computer to a guy (The Laptop Guy) that supposedly specializes in upgrading laptops, repairs, etc. I told him (The Laptop Guy and yes, that's the name of this store) that I wanted to know of the port that held my wireless card could be repaired (it couldn't so now I have one that goes off of my USB, which I wish I had known exsisted before I took my computer to this place). I also wanted pricing for more memory (an upgrade?) and have him blow all of the dust out of the computer while he was in there AND back up all of my stuff (photos, Quicken, email, etc).

So, some tech guy calls two days later and says my OS is "shot" and I need a new one. I have no idea what this means, but my husband told them to go ahead and fix it. After he hung up, I asked about the other stuff. Husband said "Oh, he didn't mention it, I'll call them tomorrow". So, he did. Tech Guy acted completely confused about what husband was talking about (even though we had a written work order of the things I wanted done and getting a new OS was NOT on there. I still don't know why I needed one, my computer was working fine, other than the broken wireless port).

Blah, blah, blah....I just got my computer back and I am FREAKING out because I have:

NO photos, they are ALL gone
NO Quicken, Turbo Tax or any other software I've installed
NO email, it's all gone and some of it was really important

In fact, if I didn't know better, I wouldn't even know this was my computer! NONE of my personal stuff is on here!!!

Husband says "well, they said they were backing everything up to DVD but it was taking too long, so I told them I would pick it up tomorrow"

Does this mean I will get my stuff back or is it all GONE!?!?

The place didn't charge us for the "service" because Husband complained about how awful they were.

Please tell me that DVD has all of my stuff on it.

First off what a read! lol very suspensful

Well if they were backing things up to dvd, that is a good thing. They could easily fit your Pictures Quicken files (not the program itself) and emails on to dvd. But in their defense..you said to go ahead to re format (the OS) which means (unless you back up) the PC will look like it is ibrand new (no files, programs etc)

Lets just hope that they backed up the right things on that DVD

Sean

BTW-i too am confused why you needed to reformat the OS in the first place..i guess the OS got corruption...

Thanks Sean :)

I didn't know that they meant they were going to reformat my computer, I never would have agreed that. I just hope the pictures are all on there, I guess I can re-buy Quicken (that CD is LONG gone) and I'll have to dig around looking for all of the other things I had on there. The crappy thing is, most of my software I buy online and download, so I don't even have a CD to use, so now I'm going to have to rebuy it all.

And I don't know if my OS was corrupted or not, since everything was working fine. XXXXXXXXXXXing fingers that my photos are on there!!!! :dead:

Sorry for your loss.
Next time, post here, BEFORE you bring your 'baby' to a stranger!
Your personal files MIGHT be on the DVD (if they gave that to you) but only IF they made a backup of the right files and folders.
Any other old programs and data are lost forever.

Nah - It's not odd - it's just a rediculous mistake to make. There are sometimes problems with windows that can cause pretty much all forms of tcp/ip networking to fail. One of them can sometimes be AOL (acctually, strike that. AOL is the only time I've seen a full networking failure.)

Ther fact is that they simply should have tried a new card first.

'The Laptop Guy'??? I'd avoid such shops in the future. I really hope your stuff is still in that DVD. And I don't think they had to re-format your HDD!

Don't forget to post back with the news. Hopefully you get back the photos. If you know the name and password of any of the programs you bought online you may be able to re-download them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back