computer freezes during gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xain

for some very unknown reason, when i play a game like star wars jedi knight 2: jedi outcast, it will eventually freeze my computer and i get a loud obnoxious continuous beep and need to restart the system. anyone know why this is happening? as far as i know its just that one game it happens with while playin online, the only other game ive tried lately online was ultima online and that doesnt really seem to have any problems.

What are your system specs?

If you would fill these out in my.TS.forum at the top of this page(click on edit profile) you will get a lot more help as members will know what hardware and OS you are using.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

apparently this problem goes to one or 2 other games, thought i had it figured out but was wrong again lol. im thinking the problem is i accidentally installed the second hard drive as the slave drive but with the master setting, but not really to sure at this point.

What cooling do you have as well as your cpu fan?

Do you have any case fans and if so how many?

The fact that you can play for some time before you start getting problems makes me think that it may just be some kind of heat problem.

Regards Howard :)

not sure if it is a heat problem, i have only one fan inside the pc, but had the case off so it should be cooler than usual, and still froze after an hour 40 mins of game time. is it possible that windows service pack 2 could be affecting anything in any way? and if it is, then is there a safe way to remove it and go back to service pack 1?

Sp2 can affect a lot of software if your problems started after installing sp2 then I would have to conclude that is the cause.

Have you checked to see if there`s a patch available for your game(s) a lot of software companies have released patches for sp2.

You could try uninstalling sp2 or even a system restore but this may cause more problems than it solves.

the games i have been playin are older games, such as halo and star wars jedi knight 2: jedi outcast. i was thinkin of taking my main hard drive out and loading windows xp sp1 on the other hard drive and boot up from that one and run the games off it to see if its sp2. also thought about uninstalling sp2 but got the message that it may cause system instability since programs run off it, so changed my mind. if theres any other safe way to check to see if the service pack, pls let me know.

That may be a good idea just to see if it cures the problem.

I`m no fan of sp2 caused my system to crash completely I had to reformat and reinstall sp1.

If you do install sp1 on another hd please let me know your results.

it wasnt to long ago i was lookin for reviews about sp2 just to see if anyone had anything to say about any problems that may have occured, and this one caught my eye:

"Well This one is just as stable as the xp pro but, If you read the review I gave xp pro...Dont expect that level of review here. Now the os is stable and current but it is more suitable for the light pc user(Internet). Because all of the flexability you have with the xp pro doesnt exist in this version. It is very dumbed down. And if you want use multiple drives as dynamic extended partions...you cant do it with this. Microsoft stripped alot of the diskmanagement options out of here. But it works and is exellent for the casual user."

im assuming thats the problem since i do have 2 hard drives, and if thats true then it is sp2 in which i either have to go back to sp1, or just use 1 drive.

Micrsoft does it again eh.

I wouldn`t have sp2 anywhere near my system like I said it caused me loads of problems.

Yet I know people who have sp2 and have had no problems at all except for the odd piece of software breaking.

That`s what leads me to think that sp2 is system dependent.

yea, ive heard several bad things about sp2. hopefully when/if they come out with sp3 theyll fix all the problems sp2 had. at this point im considering taking both hard drives out since im gettin a 300gb hard drive, and run off that alone, this way i can install sp1, and if i decide to keep one of the smaller drives then there wont be any problems. thank you much for all the info you provided :) :bounce:

You could also use multiple partitions on your 300gb hdd or anyy hdd come to that.

Then you would be able to boot from which ever partition you wanted.

Computer freezes during game play

Howard, i think you have jst solved one of my software programs.
When i try to run half-life 2 and CS:S it doesnt works, hence my thoughts of SP2, like you said it caused you lots of problems.

So far i hve it on 3 on my PC's and thats the only problem i have encountered.

Thanks Howard! :)

sadly even after formatting im still having freezing issues occasionally. im starting to think that its either the hdd itself or if possible, the video card.

HdD problems

Xain, how old is your HDD, if its like 4-5 years old it could be starting to die, it would be worth while backing up important data, and buy your self a new HDD. :knock:

its only about 2 or 3 years, i do have another hard drive thats the same size, but i couldnt get sound to work on it so i gave up tryin to run off it. for the one im running now i had to download my sound driver cause i didnt have the disks, and i tried the same thing with the other hdd but sound just wouldnt work. and i have a much bigger hdd but it doesnt connect to my comp cause its a serial hdd and i need ide. but even if i get that one connected, theres still gonna be the issue with the sound.

Sound problems

You have sound problems...Try buying a new sound card, or borrow one of a friends. See if that works... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back