Computer freezes permanently, causing me to hard reset

Rothul

I have had this problem for months, and now I am at the end of my tether. Basically if I have to explain it, this crash can happen any time any where. Browsing the internet, clicking an icon on the desktop, playing a game, watching a video, or just leaving the computer sitting there. It just stops...instantly, the clock stops, all peripherals like my bluetooth dongle turn off, however the screen doesnt loose its image, itll just freeze on what it was on, the power still functions and If I dont hard reset then It will sit there for hours doing nothing. On rare occasions I get a blue screen, very rare. I dont know if its hardware or software, Ive done RAM checks, they all come out fine, everythings upto date driver wise.

Check "Reliability Monitor" and dig down into detail - might result in identification of error.

Let us know what you find.

Thank you for trying to help! I'm wondering, what you want me to tell you exactly? I'm new to this so I'm not sure.

Thank you for trying to help! I'm wondering, what you want me to tell you exactly? I'm new to this so I'm not sure.

Click the Window icon (Start) and type Reliability Monitor. II should be at the top of the list - click "View Reliability History" not "Web Search", it's an installed Control Panel app. Highlight one of the results (it may be empty), click View More > at the bottom of the page, then click "Copy to Clipboard. Paste the text here and Remove any personal information - then hit Post Reply.

Should look like this.

Source
Google Chrome

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎3/‎14/‎2020 6:09 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: chrome.exe
Application Version: 80.0.3987.132
Application Timestamp: 5e59c95a
Hang Signature: 004e
Hang Type: 134217728
(cut demo)

Screenshot (CTL+V) pasted into Paint.

Click the thumbnail below to view larger.

RELAIBILITY_MON.jpg

Click the Window icon (Start) and type Reliability Monitor. II should be at the top of the list - click "View Reliability History" not "Web Search", it's an installed Control Panel app. Highlight one of the results (it may be empty), click View More > at the bottom of the page, then click "Copy to Clipboard. Paste the text here and Remove any personal information - then hit Post Reply.

Should look like this.

Source
Google Chrome

Summary

Date
‎3/‎14/‎2020 6:09 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: chrome.exe
Application Version: 80.0.3987.132
Application Timestamp: 5e59c95a
Hang Signature: 004e
Hang Type: 134217728
(cut demo)

Screenshot (CTL+V) pasted into Paint.

Click the thumbnail below to view larger.

View attachment 86286

I have like 5 problems that I can copy to clipboard. Want me to show all of them here?

Source
SkypeBridge

Summary

Date
‎2020-‎03-‎15 4:09 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.35.152.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c\SkypeBridge\SkypeBridge.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: MoAppHang
Package Full Name: Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.35.152.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c
Application Name: praid:App
Application Version: 8.35.0.152
Application Timestamp: 5c523320
Hang Signature: 3db8
Hang Type: 2097152
Version du SE: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
ID de paramètres régionaux: 3084
Additional Hang Signature 1: 3db872eeb75c7fa1f2ca8a14b7fe8aaa
Additional Hang Signature 2: eb8e
Additional Hang Signature 3: eb8e82184cc1b674982e047d22b0c3ae
Additional Hang Signature 4: 3db8
Additional Hang Signature 5: 3db872eeb75c7fa1f2ca8a14b7fe8aaa
Additional Hang Signature 6: eb8e
Additional Hang Signature 7: eb8e82184cc1b674982e047d22b0c3ae

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: f051aece71e6d2fde9a45d852e4d2888 (1847704573717588104)

Source
NVIDIA Control Panel Application, 8.1.940.0

Summary
Ne fonctionne plus

Date
‎2020-‎03-‎15 7:55 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.956.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj\nvCplUI.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: MoAppCrash
Nom complet de l’ensemble: NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.956.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj
Nom de l’application: praid:NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel
Version de l’application: 8.1.940.0
Horodatage de l’application: 5d8935a6
Nom du module de défaut: nvgames.dll
Version du module de défaut: 26.21.14.4259
Horodatage du module de défaut: 5e5ffde5
Code d’exception: c0000005
Décalage de l’exception: 00000000001b9268
Information supplémentaire 1: 5ab9
Information supplémentaire 2: 5ab91b3b00aa811ae10055e1133614fe
Information supplémentaire 3: af06
Information supplémentaire 4: af066de91c3fdcb89d22f22341fb4c15

Bucket ID: 1d9348d1d19caa80f9cdbaa4f2d67a26 (1859347438785428006)

Source
GraphicsPerfSvc

Summary
Ne fonctionne plus

Date
‎2020-‎03-‎16 3:16 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Nom de l’application: svchost.exe_GraphicsPerfSvc
Version de l’application: 10.0.18362.1
Horodatage de l’application: 32d6c210
Nom du module de défaut: ucrtbase.dll
Version du module de défaut: 10.0.18362.387
Horodatage du module de défaut: 4361b720
Décalage de l’exception: 000000000006db8e
Code d’exception: c0000409
Données d’exception: 0000000000000007
Information supplémentaire 1: 8a5d
Information supplémentaire 2: 8a5d24d1fbab6e75b7bfeb57c691e0cc
Information supplémentaire 3: 1e64
Information supplémentaire 4: 1e64dfca9fcd7909f7a9dcb51fff40da

Bucket ID: aef572b2707ff187f3e2d6c7dbec81a5 (1432943785333784997)

Cut `.`.`.`.`.8< - - -- -

the screen doesnt loose its image, itll just freeze on what it was on, the power still functions and If I dont hard reset then It will sit there for hours doing nothing

Windows 10 freezes.
First - Uninstall Nvidia Experience and other Nvidia applications through Settings/Control Panel, restart the computer. Windows should load standard/'generic' drivers.

Next.
1. Open the Command Prompt: type sfc /scannow (one space follows sfc)
WAIT. Maybe 10 minutes, it could be longer. If it reports 'files replaced or restored', Restart the computer.

Normal Output: Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

This is an image and sanity check.

2. Again from the Command Prompt: type
C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (one space precedes each / )

Normal Output for Dism: Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19582.1001
Image Version: 10.0.19582.1001
***No component store corruption detected.

That's what we're looking for.

Assuming Dism finds no corruption
3. Command Prompt: type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (one space follows Dism)

When the three operations complete, restart to check for improvement.

Next, run: MalwareBytes And: MalwareBytes Anti-RootKit

> Find and Rename
SkypeBridge.exe , to > SkypeBridge.OLD (Windows 10 may not allow this).

The computer is in a strange state. I've seen a frozen screen image few times, I'm not comfortable making more suggestions in a huge batch, perhaps Cycloid Torus who frequents the forum will advise.

Let us know if you run the file checks and if you see any improvement.

the screen doesnt loose its image, itll just freeze on what it was on, the power still functions and If I dont hard reset then It will sit there for hours doing nothing

Windows 10 freezes.
First - Uninstall Nvidia Experience and other Nvidia applications through Settings/Control Panel, restart the computer. Windows should load standard/'generic' drivers.

Next.
1. Open the Command Prompt: type sfc /scannow (one space follows sfc)
WAIT. Maybe 10 minutes, it could be longer. If it reports 'files replaced or restored', Restart the computer.

Normal Output: Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

This is an image and sanity check.

2. Again from the Command Prompt: type
C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (one space precedes each / )

Normal Output for Dism: Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19582.1001
Image Version: 10.0.19582.1001
***No component store corruption detected.

That's what we're looking for.

Assuming Dism finds no corruption
3. Command Prompt: type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (one space follows Dism)

When the three operations complete, restart to check for improvement.

Next, run: MalwareBytes And: MalwareBytes Anti-RootKit

> Find and Rename
SkypeBridge.exe , to > SkypeBridge.OLD (Windows 10 may not allow this).

The computer is in a strange state. I've seen a frozen screen image few times, I'm not comfortable making more suggestions in a huge batch, perhaps Cycloid Torus who frequents the forum will advise.

Let us know if you run the file checks and if you see any improvement.

I just followed your steps. Should I re-install Nvidia now or no?

I just followed your steps. Should I re-install Nvidia now or no?

How is the computer working? If Windows seems stable and the freezing has stopped, I think you should create a restore point so you can easily roll back, in case Nvidia software causes a problem.

How is the computer working? If Windows seems stable and the freezing has stopped, I think you should create a restore point so you can easily roll back, in case Nvidia software causes a problem.
Nothing happened yet, so I'm not sure. I'll wait a couple of days to see if it really fixed it or no.

It happened again, and honestly I'm done. I've done everything people told me to do, everything I found on the internet, Im starting to lose hope since it always tell me there is no problem when I do the cmd thing. IDK what to do anymore

Thanks for your help tho. If you have any idea what I could do, please let me know.

I've been building and fixing systems for 30 years. Not simple - but definitely a machine (I.e., frustrating, logical, detailed).

We started with software because the Reliability Monitor identified:
- SkypeBridge Stopped responding and was closed 2020-‎03-‎15 4:09 PM
- NVIDIA Control Panel Application,8.1.940.0 Ne fonctionne plus 2020-‎03-‎15 7:55 PM
- GraphicsPerfSvc Ne fonctionne plus 2020-‎03-‎16 3:16 PM

3 different crash problems at unrelated different times.

Just in case, CharmsD set out a method to correct corrupted/missing files which could have caused your issues.

Since you have done all that carefully and completely and have yet another crash (please share Reliability Monitor report), then we should move on to evaluating hardware as the probable cause.

How to do that? Please review the article at the link: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

For now, I discount software, operating system, heat, driver, too many windows as the current issue and suggest Hardware may hold the answer. We are looking for an intermittent error, which is hardest to find.

RAM is still most likely issue. I recommend memtest86 and I would run it in continuous mode overnight so I got at least 7 passes. See https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000708.htm for more information.

If this does not give an actionable result, we need to move on to power issues (VR on motherboard, PSU, connectors). Careful attention is required - as it could be as simple as a crack in the motherboard or a cold solder joint.

Please keep full notes and share results.

Download motherboard manual if you do not have one and review 'troubleshooting' section.

Perseverance is necessary. Back in the early 80s, I had to work on a brand new IBM XT which crashed whenever it felt like it - sometimes 5-6 times @ day. I tracked software and usage for 6 days before I realized that it crashed only when the department secretary walked by. Honest! It turned out, she liked silk skirts and they often brushed the cloth of the cubical when she walked by. Tracking down a bad wiring ground, I finally solved the problem.

You can too.

Back